Civic Engagement: Democracy and the Library
Format: The ACRL/NY 2020 Symposium will be held completely virtually. We are seeking 5-7 minute poster presentations. We are open to a mixture of presentation types and formats.
Call for Proposals: Poster Lightning Round
Poster proposals can be submitted at https://acrlny2020symposium.wordpress.com/posters/
For this year’s ACRL/NY Symposium, we are seeking proposals for a Poster Lightning Round about the intersection of libraries and research institutions with civics, governance, and democracy. How are civic issues impacting collections and services? How do libraries foster engagement with civic issues and the democratic process throughout the community? How do ideas of “library neutrality” affect how we engage with these issues? We welcome proposals from all positions of library staff.
Potential perspectives include but are not limited to:
- Diverse voices: participation of diverse groups in decision making and programming
- Ethical Leadership: explorations of institutional authority and power dynamics, formal and informal practices of good governance and resistance
- Public Services, Outreach, and Instruction: library programming, creative partnerships in and outside the institution, information literacy
- Acquisitions/Collection Development: new and interesting collections meant to encourage civic discussion and activism, purchasing issues, resources sharing
- Technical Services and Access: authority control and the algorithmic impact of information retrieval, scholarly communications, artificial intelligence
Selections will be done by a blind review; please do not include any identifying information in your abstract. Proposals must be submitted by October 31, 2020. Presenters will be notified by Monday, November 9th.
Questions regarding submitting posters can be sent to email@example.com
Questions regarding submitting or about the Symposium, in general, can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
If not a member join at https://acrlny.org/join-us/become-a-member-of-acrlny/