The ACRL/NY Professional Development Committee is collaborating with METRO (via their Community Engagement Manager, Davis Erin Anderson) on a series of events at METRO for mid-career librarians. It will address some issues facing these librarians such as mid-career burnout, staying motivated, climbing up the ladder, becoming leaders, navigating the tenure and promotion process, and measuring success.
The series will kick off in February 2014 with Jim Neal, Vice President for Information Services and University Librarian, Columbia University. He will speak on leading, mentoring and staying motivated.
For the second session on Monday March 3, 2014 at 11:00a.m., a panelist of New York librarians will discuss how to navigate a successful tenure process. Moderated by Marsha Spiegelman, Professor, Nassau Community College, SUNY, the panel will include:
- Caroline Fuchs, Outreach Librarian, St. John’s University
- Mark Aaron Polger, Instruction/Reference Librarian, College of Staten Island, CUNY
- Polly Thistlethwaite, Chief Librarian, CUNY Graduate Center
- Stephanie Walker, Chief Librarian and Executive Director of Academic Information Technology, Brooklyn College, CUNY
- Rosanne Humes (Serials Librarian) and Katrina Frazier (Head of Cataloging), Nassau Community College, SUNY
The third session on Tuesday April 8, 2014 at 1:00 p.m. will concentrate on measuring success: assessment, outcomes, and strategic planning.
Dr. Ian Beckford, Academic Assessment Manager, Queensborough Community College, CUNY will speak on assessment research methods, including methods that can be used to carry out a full scale analysis. Examples of assessment projects will feature presentations by Profs. Sheila Beck, Barbara Bonous-Smit & Neera Mohess from Queensborough Community College, CUNY on assessment of reference desk services. Nisa Bakkalbasi, Assessment Coordinator, Columbia University Libraries will share an example of library assessment that was conducted at the Columbia University Libraries within the last year.
-Barbara Bonous-Smit, Queensborough Community College, CUNY