|Context of the Job
The University of Delaware Library, Museums and Press seeks a service-oriented librarian with knowledge of collection analysis tools to lead the Acquisitions Unit within the Collections, Acquisitions, and Resource Sharing Department. The Coordinator, Acquisitions Services, provides leadership for the Library’s collection procurement, collection analysis, and material processing services to meet the evolving needs of the campus community. The Acquisitions Unit orders, receives, and provides shelf preparation for all library materials in all formats, manages the processing of gifts to the library collection, and liaises with the University’s Accounts Payable unit to ensure prompt payment of invoices. The coordinator works in collaboration with the Associate University Librarian for Acquisitions and Collection Services and the Head of the Collections, Acquisitions, and Resource Sharing Department to assess data related to library materials and works with subject liaisons to grow and diversify the collection. The Coordinator, Acquisitions Services provides fiscal oversight for a library collections budget of over $10,000,000 for the purchase of print books and serials, electronic resources, streaming and physical media, special collections and archival material, and other types of items. The coordinator works closely with the Head of the Cataloging and Metadata Department to assess copy cataloging standards and facilitate the physical processing of materials.
We welcome applications from early-career librarians with work experience in acquisitions and an interest in working closely with and learning from colleagues in collection management, electronic resources management, cataloging and metadata, and resource sharing.
Reporting to the Head, Collections, Acquisitions, and Resource Sharing Department, major responsibilities include:
● Provide day-to-day oversight of the operations of the Acquisitions Unit in conjunction with Library goals and projects. Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the team of non-exempt staff members. Collaborate with unit staff to develop and maintain efficient workflows, and to develop and plan long- and short-term goals for the unit.
● Establish a program for collecting, assessing, and reporting data on Library acquisitions and collections, both physical and electronic. Make recommendations to the Head, Collections, Acquisitions, and Resource Sharing about collection management decisions.
● Collaborate with liaisons to analyze the Library’s collections, particularly through the lens of the organization’s anti-racism and equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives, to identify areas with potential for growth. Develop relationships with subject liaisons to support acquisitions activities.
● Create and update policies and procedures for acquisitions in conjunction with the Head, Collections, Acquisitions, and Resource Sharing and Head, Cataloging and Metadata, to ensure alignment with current best practices in the field.
● Monitor Library materials budget spending in collaboration with the department head and AUL, working with colleagues to ensure effective stewardship of the collections budget.
● Manage the reconciliation of Library internal payment records with University records on a regular basis.
● Resolve complex payment, access, and receipt issues with vendors or payees.
● Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and work closely with them to promptly resolve problems. Collaborate with print, electronic, media, and system vendors to make the best use of Library resources and vendor services.
● Foster an environment of collegiality and teamwork for unit staff, cultivating a respectful and inclusive work environment that empowers staff and values input from all employees.
● Demonstrate commitment to active professional development for self and team to maintain currency on trends related to university needs, technology, and library services.
● Graduate degree in library science.
● Demonstrated knowledge of library acquisitions work and best practices.
● Demonstrated understanding of library collection development and management.
● Experience analyzing trends in library collections and making recommendations on policies and collecting strategies.
● Ability to work independently, creatively and devise solutions to complex problems.
● Advanced organizational and time management skills.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
● Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to evaluate and determine best practices.
● Ability to plan, present, and assess training for students and staff.
● Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.
● Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
● Commitment to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment.
● Commitment to professional growth.
● Previous supervisory experience preferred.
● Experience working with the Alma library services platform preferred.
● Experience with data analysis tools, particularly those used in library collection assessment preferred.
● Familiarity with modern foreign language(s), preferred.
To apply, please visit https://careers.udel.edu/en-us/job/500444/coordinator-acquisitions-services-library-museums-and-press