About SUNY Old Westbury:
The State University of New York at Old Westbury is a dynamic and diverse public liberal arts college that fosters academic excellence through close interaction among students, faculty and staff. Old Westbury weaves the values of integrity, community engagement, and global citizenship into the fabric of its academic programs and campus life. In an environment that cultivates critical thinking, empathy, creativity and intercultural understanding, we endeavor to stimulate a passion for learning and a commitment to building a more just and sustainable world. The University is a community of students, teachers, staff, and alumni bound together in mutual support, respect, and dedication to the Mission.
SUNY Old Westbury serves large populations of underrepresented, first-generation, and non-traditional students. Candidates with experience working with a similar student body, and a demonstrated commitment to supporting these populations, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Since its foundation in 1965, SUNY Old Westbury has been committed to social justice, diversity, and the empowerment of traditionally underserved populations. The University serves a large proportion of non-traditional students and has earned the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from Insight into Diversity magazine for five consecutive years.
Located on a 604-acre campus on Long Island, Nassau County, about 40 miles from New York City, SUNY Old Westbury comprises four Schools (Education, Business, Arts and Sciences and Professional Studies) with total enrollment of 4400 students. For more details about the SUNY Old Westbury, please refer to our website at www.oldwestbury.edu.
The State University of New York at Old Westbury is seeking a Resource Sharing Librarian. The Resource Sharing Librarian is responsible for the daily Interlibrary Loan (ILL) operations including setting policies and procedures. The Librarian supervises, trains, and evaluates Interlibrary Loan staff and student assistants. This position reports to the Library Director. The Librarian will serve as the direct liaison in assigned departments. The Librarian provides reference services in-person and online; teaches information literacy sessions; produces web-based research guides; reviews resource sharing policies and makes recommendations to the Director; keeps current with relevant technologies and methods; and prepares quantitative and qualitative reports monthly and as requested.
This is a 12-month tenure-track position. The Librarian engages in college service and maintains professional development through continuing education and professional organizations. Other duties may be assigned, and some evening and weekend are required. The successful candidate will be cooperative and confident, customer-centered, and eager to engage with the changing services and methods of libraries.
- Resource Sharing Librarian will manage and provide leadership to Old Westbury’s Resource Sharing and Interlibrary Loan (ILL) department.
- Supervise and train unit staff (full time staff and student workers if needed).
- Participate in Resource Sharing/ILL request fulfillment and provide relevant professional expertise and troubleshooting as needed.
- Ensures copyright compliance is upheld.
- Continuously assess and improve software functioning (currently ILLiad and Exlibris).
- Explore, plan, and oversee resource sharing initiatives.
- Serve as liaison to assigned department(s) with responsibility for subject specialized collection development and instruction.
- Participate in Research Help Desk rotation for on-site and virtual reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
- In addition, this position will be expected to display a demonstrated potential for excellence in librarianship, scholarship, and service; commitment to undergraduate and graduate education; and possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues.
- Maintains relationships with key contacts at member libraries, partners and vendors related to ILL and resource sharing.
- Participates in other resource sharing related activities within SUNY.
Salary Range: $52,842.00 to $70,000.00 commensurate with education and experience
Comprehensive benefits package: https://www.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/benefits/benefit-summaries/FTUUPbenefitsummary-July-2023.pdf
- A minimum of a Master of Library Science (MLS) or Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Knowledge of interlibrary loan processes, best practices, and management.
- Experience with library systems (e.g., ILLiad, OCLC Worldshare, ALMA Exlibris, etc.).
- A minimum of two (2) years of full-time experience in an academic, specialized or public library.
- Ability to work independently, contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a team as well as lead a project group.
- Supervisory, leadership, and/or project management experience.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated experience with Libguides, WordPress or comparable tools.
- Utilize existing and emerging technologies to innovate and improve resource sharing and ILL services.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated interest or engagement with social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion issues, through professional or community experience. See University Mission and Vision statement. https://www.oldwestbury.edu/about-us/mission-vision
- Experience with reference service and collection development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of library resources, both print and electronic.
- Experience working in Resource Sharing/Interlibrary Loan.
- Knowledge of copyright laws.
The successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
The State University of New York at Old Westbury is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to participate in the selection process, please contact the Office of Human Resources/Affirmative Action located in the Campus Center, Room I-211 or by calling (516) 876-3179.
The Annual Security and Fire Report is filed as required by federal law. The purpose of this report is to provide faculty, staff and students with campus safety information, including crime statistics and safety policies and procedures. The report contains information regarding security and personal safety, including topics such as crime prevention, fire safety, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the previous three calendar years. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the University Police Department (516) 876-3333 or by downloading a copy.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Position Type: Faculty
Official Budget Title: Senior Assistant Librarian
Campus Title: Resource Sharing Librarian
Negotiating Unit: UUP
Salary Grade: NSN3
FLSA Status: Exempt
Please submit the following online at https://oldwestbury.interviewexchange.com:
- cover letter,
- contact information (name, email address and telephone number) for three (3) references, and
- a fully completed Old Westbury employment application (available during the online application process).
Only applications submitted online will be considered.
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: October 27, 2023 (updated)
VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
Employment in this position will be contingent on the College’s verification of credentials and any other information required by federal or state law, and SUNY Old Westbury polices, including the completion of pre-employment screening.