FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Supports a college library through its web presence and through digital initiatives. Provides in-depth consultation with students and faculty and collaboration for the ongoing improvement of instructional programs and practices. Pursues an active scholarly agenda, may perform supervisory duties, and participates in college-and university-wide programs and committees as assigned.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Librarian, The Web & Digital Initiatives Librarian administers the Hunter College Libraries web content management systems to ensure that all library web pages are optimized to conform to indexing, design and stylistic standards. Working closely with both library faculty and library IT staff, the Web & Digital Initiatives Librarian will create documentation, tutorials and other training material to support all Hunter Libraries personnel. The web & digital initiatives librarian will collaborate with both library faculty at Hunter and other CUNY campuses, as well as other Hunter faculty, to develop and present new media and technology applications for research and pedagogy in higher education. This person will provide guidance and support to faculty and students in using new digital-based tools and techniques.
The successful candidate will combine an understanding of both web content management systems, digital innovations in instruction, and issues and trends in public services in academic libraries. This position works closely with the head of library IT, the head of Access Services, the head of Reference/Instruction Services and the instructional design librarian to ensure that existing library web applications and digitalFa services meet the needs and expectations of library patrons and staff. The web & digital initiatives librarian also provides reference services, library instruction, collection development and liaison work.
1. Act as library liaison, with collection development responsibilities, to several academic departments; advocate for improvements in collection development in those disciplines
2. Conduct instructions sessions and one-on-one consultations in liaison departments
3. Provide general and chat reference
Hunter is committed to active engagement with students and the community at large, and embraces equity, inclusiveness, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work.
Required: Assistant Professor:
• MLS, or its equivalent from an ALA-accredited library school, and an additional Master’s degree or Doctorate
• Minimum two years’ experience in library public service
• Knowledge of or experience with higher education curriculum development or instructional design
• Familiarity with course management systems such as Blackboard, graphic design tools and other web-applicable instructional tools
• Experience with the use or development of web-based digital scholarly working environments
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to speak and/or make presentations before groups and conduct effective training
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment with strong commitment to public service
• Have a strong commitment to research, and participate in activities related to that research, including presentations at scholarly conferences and publishing in the peer reviewed literature with an eye to reappointment, tenure and promotion
• Academic library experience.
• Familiarity with learning theory, pedagogical methods, and learning outcomes assessment
• Experience providing information literacy instruction in association with programs or initiatives supporting General Education curricula
• An advanced degree (MA and/or PhD) in digital humanities, education technology, or related field
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the “Apply Now” button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters – also DO NOT USE SYMBOLS (such as accents (é, è, (â, î or ô), ñ, ü, ï , –, _ or ç)).
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The committee will begin reviewing complete applications on August 26, 2019. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be considered if the positions remain open after initial round.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.