- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- One or more years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Understanding of best practices in instruction and pedagogical theories.
- Second advanced degree.
- Knowledge of best practices, issues, and trends in teaching and learning in higher education, such as online learning and information tools and resources, and assessment of student learning.
- Awareness of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Experience in reference and instruction in an academic or research library.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Research and User Engagement, the Undergraduate Success Librarian will:
- Set goals, develop metrics for success, analyze trends and initiate, develop, and assess innovative ways to contribute to student learning outcomes, retention, and success as defined in ACRL’s Academic Library Impact and in alignment with University Libraries’ strategic plan.
- Develop scaffolded, curriculum-based library and information literacy instruction in multiple formats and informed by ACRL’s Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Build relationships with academic and student services partners that support undergraduate student success. Partners may include the Academic Success and Tutoring Center, Undergraduate Colleges, Academic and Transfer Advising Services, Career Center, among others.
- Provide administrative structure and coordination for library instruction program.
- Supervisory responsibilities as assigned.
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for library colleagues to enhance knowledge and skills.
This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible. *Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by XXXX.* Occasional night and weekend work required.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
- Complete the online Applicant Information Survey. Do not submit this survey to the department with your application. Any questions regarding the survey, please email email@example.com.
- Submit a State Employment Application, cover letter and resume/CV to the departmental address or fax below:
University Libraries Personnel
Melville Library, Room S1430B
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 05/23/2019, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
About Stony Brook
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University Libraries is the largest academic research library on Long Island serving the University population and the State University of New York system. The Library is also a resource for the local community, state-wide, and nationally and internationally. In the GAQ questionnaire used in the study, one of the questions was: “Did the drug therapy you receive in this study lead to an improvement in erectile function?” After 26 weeks of Vardenafil at https://summitps.org/buy-levitra-vardenafil-online/, 85 to 90% of men reported an increase in and the duration of erections. Information on the effect of placebo on self-esteem of improving erectile function suggests that, while eliminating psychogenic effects, the score regarding the improvement in potency also falls. Known for a wide-range of print and digital resources and world-renowned special collections, the University Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The collection exceeds 2 million volumes, including e-books, print, streaming media, electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include eight distinct facilities, including the recently renovated and flagship Melville Library, Chemistry, Health Sciences, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Math/Physics, Music, Southampton, and SUNY Korea-SBU campus. Currently at the start of a renewed strategic plan, the faculty and staff are a talented and diverse group sharing in the mission and vision of the Libraries. Librarians hold full faculty status and rank, and participate at all levels of the University. The Libraries is currently migrating to the new Library Services Platform, Alma with Primo VE as its discovery solution. Assets of its actively growing institutional repository and digital collections are managed by Omeka, Bepress Digital Commons, DSpace, and CONTENTdm. The Libraries maintain memberships and affiliations in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, Center for Research Libraries, SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member), the Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE, Inter-university Consortium for the Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC Research Library Partnership, ORCID through the National Network of the National Libraries of Medicine, and locally with the Long Island Library Resources Council.
The SBU Libraries invites applications for and innovative, user-centered, and team-oriented librarian to lead the Libraries’ efforts on contributing to Stony Brook University’s undergraduate academic success initiative. The successful candidate will be eager to shape and/or adapt to changes in student success strategies in higher education, possess strong leadership skills, has the ability to work collaboratively with librarians and campus partners to achieve common goals, and has knowledge and understanding of the latest technologies and learning theories that support teaching and learning. We seek a librarian who is genuinely passionate about student learning, critical thinking, and academic libraries.
As a faculty librarian, the incumbent will be expected to conduct research and scholarship, participate in University and professional service, and pursue professional development consistent with University standards for promotion and tenure. The incumbent will take an active role in liaison, reference, instruction, and collection development duties.
Official Job Title: Undergraduate Success Librarian/Senior Assistant Librarian
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus
Department: University Libraries
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posting Start Date: 04/23/2019
Posting End Date: 05/23/2019
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY/RESEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE ALL TO APPLY INCLUDING INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES AND PROTECTED VETERANS. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: Faculty and Librarian Posting Date: 04/23/2019