About SUNY Maritime College
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Systems and Learning Technologies Librarian will work collaboratively with others to identify, develop, deploy, and manage new and existing technologies (hardware, software, virtual and cloud-based) to support library services, teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors. This is inclusive of electronic resources, Ex Libris Alma/Primo, Ship library web site, and applications to deliver reference and instructional services. This position will require innovation, creativity and a willingness to problem solve.
- Administer and maintain the integrated library management system (Alma) and discovery tool (Primo) and electronic resources access. Troubleshoot issues that may arise with these tools
- Provide technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for traditional and emerging library hardware and software
- Serve as administrator for subscribed Springshare products
- Work collaboratively with others, within the library and across campus, on systems-related, technology-related, and digitally-based services and projects.
- Provides library systems support to library colleagues. Understands and responds to library systems-related needs across library units.
- Engage faculty and students to explore new technologies around which the Library may build research and learning support services
- Manage the evolving slate of library technology service operations
- Participate in the collaborative libraries-wide efforts to extend technology learning support to students and faculty across the curriculum through resource development, training and communication
- Work closely with the Center for Teaching Excellence on Blackboard administration
- Responsible for all facets and complexities of the Electronic Resources life-cycle, from acquisition to access, administration, support and evaluation.; advocates for fair terms & pricing, open access, new models of shared access, and content preservation.
- Work closely with the Content Management Librarian to identify new e-resources, and evaluate & assess collections for content, discoverability and ease of access.
- Communicate changes in content & platforms to library faculty and staff in a timely and effective manner
- Generate and maintain customized reports for library systems and learning technologies
- Participate in library instruction, including creation of research guides, in collaboration with fellow librarians
- Trains staff and student workers as necessary
- Provides general and specialized reference service in person and virtually
- Serves as a subject liaison for developing resources and collections
- Teaches general library research classes to undergraduate and graduate students and develops customized supplementary materials/tools as needed for instruction sessions
- Participates in professional service and research activities in support of promotion and tenure requirements
- Serves on college and library committees, participates in local, regional, and national associations, and engages in scholarly activity required for promotion and tenure
- Master’s degree in information and/or library science from an ALA-accredited school or an ALA approved foreign equivalent
- High degree of current awareness in computers and related technologies in emerging use at institutions of higher education
- Strong understanding of electronic resource management and library systems
- Knowledge of Blackboard/learning management systems
- Ability to gather, analyze, and report data
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills, including listening, writing, and speaking
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and perform complicated tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing assignments and needs
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic librarianship
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
- Two or more years of experience in an academic or research library
- Demonstrated technical-support skills
- Familiarity with current issues in electronic resources
- Familiarity with Ex Libris library systems products, such as Alma, Primo, or Aleph
- Familiarity with supporting off campus-access to licensed resources and the role of access and identity management technologies such as proxy server
- Expertise in organizing and manipulating data using spreadsheet applications
- Knowledge of current licensing and renewal issues for academic or research libraries.
- Aptitude for teaching and developing instructional content and documentation
- Experience with assessment.
The Systems and Learning Technologies Librarian is a UUP position. The anticipated salary range for the position is $50,000 – $55,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package (for more information please see the UUP Benefit Summary). Review of applications to commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
This is a full-time calendar year appointment UUP Position. Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Travel and interviews expenses will not be reimbursed.
Budget Title: Assistant Librarian
Local Title: Systems and Learning Technologies Librarian
Line #: 00402
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu
Persons interested in the above position should apply online.
- Cover letter with salary requirements
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edits your profile or to upload additional documents.