Supervisor of Southampton Library 2104669
Website : https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2104669&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher). In lieu of a degree, a combination of progressively responsible full-time work experience and/or education totaling four years may be considered. One full year supervisory experience and customer service. Must have strong computer skills, including proficiency with Google apps, Microsoft Office products and the Internet
Library work experience (academic or public). Three (3) years supervisory experience. Experience engaging with college and/or university student populations.
Under the direction of the Head of the Southampton Library (Librarian), the Supervisor of Southampton Library will assist in managing the daily operations of the library. This includes, but is not limited to supervising student employees and providing circulation services (circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, and directional assistance) at the service desk, along with resolving patron and security problems. The incumbent is expected to troubleshoot issues as they arrive, communicate in a timely manner with the Head of the Southampton library and the Director of Access and User Services and serve as the liaison to emergency services (University Police, EMS, etc.) and Facilities as needed. A successful applicant will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and will need to develop full working knowledge of ILLiad, the interlibrary loan management system, as well as a library information system.
• Service Desk coverage to include circulation of library materials including reserves, answering library user questions in person and by phone while referring more complex reference questions to Head Librarian. Assist patrons at the public computers. Have knowledge of Access Services policies. Respond to queries about Access Services policies. Full working knowledge of the library information system, including all functions in regards to patron files, processing of holds and receipt of library fine or fee payments. Primary phone contact for Access Services, answering questions regarding Access Services policies, taking messages and referring callers to appropriate library or university staff. Assist in responding to library maintenance issues such as photocopier problems, cleaning services and general library environmental concerns and referring to proper personnel. Notify the Maintenance office when repair calls are necessary.
• Assist in overseeing the daily operations of the library. Works closely with the Head of the Southampton Library (Librarian), Director of Access & User Services, Head of Access Services, and the daytime supervisor. Shares responsibility for opening and closing the library for scheduled hours. This includes maintaining and updating statistics and working with DoIT to ensure printers are functioning properly.
• Provide support for Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Resource Sharing services and for Course Reserves. Coordinate and collaborate with personnel in departments in the University Libraries to provide unified and streamlined services to patrons. Will include working with AUS personnel in Reserves and Interlibrary Loan at the Melville library to ensure efficient processing of material. Will need to develop full working knowledge of ILLiad, the interlibrary loan management system, as well as the library information system and Blackboard. Must have full working knowledge of Access Services policies and procedures and be able to work with library personnel across campus libraries. Must be able to use library databases for processing ILL and Reserves requests.
• Assist with stack maintenance: shelf reading and shifting; identifying items for repair or preservation; preparing carts for shelving, and completing stack maintenance tasks as needed to include books and journals. Participates in stacks maintenance projects and processing of serials.
• Maintain technical competency and skills through professional development opportunities. Participate in department and University-wide committees, events and professional organizations.
• Other duties as assigned as appropriate based on rank and departmental mission.
This is a full time appointment. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Evening and weekend work may be required at times.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such may be required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
In accordance with the New York State Department of Health (DOH) order that all hospitals and nursing homes “continuously require all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19,” Candidates who are not already vaccinated must obtain the first dose of the vaccine within three (3) calendar days of acceptance of conditional job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with the vaccine protocol. The order also includes those who may be affiliated with or interact with employees of a hospital or nursing home. The order allows for limited medical exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280 or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2104669
Official Job Title: Instructional Support Associate
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Stony Brook University Libraries
Shift : Variable Shift Hours: Monday-Thursday 12-8pm; Friday 9am-5pm
Posting Start Date: Nov 24, 2021
Posting End Date: Dec 24, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Appointment Type: Term
Salary Grade: SL2