Details or description
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Student Experience librarian and Instructor Coordinator is responsible for spearheading library instruction efforts. This position will work with faculty, regimental staff and student support services to support the learning and research needs of students. Furthermore, this position will work towards increasing student retention by facilitating a robust schedule of activities designed to make students feel part of a broader campus community.
• Serve as the primary contact within the library for learning and research support
• Provide general and specialized reference service in person and electronically
• Help scholars use common information literacy tools through instruction and training on library resources, research techniques and methodologies.
• Provide consultations for research projects
• Responsible for the creation of research guides in collaboration with fellow librarians
• Coordinate and implement the Library Lecture Series
• Develop and implement a robust information literacy program based on institution learning outcomes and industry best practices
• Coordinate and teach general library research classes to undergraduate and graduate students and develop customized supplementary materials/tools as needed for instruction sessions
• Partner with faculty, researchers, partners, and vendors, to plan creative, effective, and innovative workshops
• Manage and assess information literacy instruction, reference services, library lectures
• Participate in outreach and promotion events and maintain the library’s presence on campus
• With the library team, ensure efficient daily operations, quality outcomes, and user satisfaction
• Train staff and student workers as necessary
• Serves as a subject liaison for developing resources and collections
• Cultivate and sustain collaborative relationships with faculty, students, and staff in support of campus teaching, learning, research, and student success
• Participates in professional service and research activities in support of promotion and tenure requirements
• Serves on college and library committees, participates in local, regional, and national associations, and engages in scholarly activity required for promotion and tenure
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in information and/or library science from a ALA-accredited school or an ALA – approved foreign equivalent
• Ability to gather, analyze and report data
• Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
• Excellent communication skill, including listening, writing and speaking
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and perform complicated tasks with minimal supervision
• Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing assignments and need
• Strong customer service ethic
• Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving ability
• Knowledge of current and emerging trends in academic librarianship
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
• Experience in an academic or research library
• Demonstrated success in instruction development and delivery
• Experience with assessment of instruction
• Experience developing learning outcomes
Classification/Salary Range: The Assistant Librarian is a United University Professions (UUP) position. Salary will be commensurate with experience with an outstanding benefits package (for more information please see The UUP Benefits Summary)
Review of applications to commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full-time, calendar year appointment UUP Position Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Assistant Librarian 08
Local Title: Student Experienced Librarian Instructor Coordinator
Line #: 00404
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Applicants are asked to submit the following:
• Cover letter
• Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion will advance Maritime’s commitment to inclusive excellence
• Names and contact information of three professional references
Returning Applicants, Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edits your profile or to upload additional documents.
Apply online at: