Lucy Scribner Library at Skidmore College welcomes applicants for our Social Sciences Librarian position. This librarian supports curricular needs in key social sciences disciplines, helping our liberal arts college students develop as scholars by teaching them information literacy and research skills and connecting them with relevant information resources. The strongest candidates will be able to help students in social sciences and related fields of study develop the data literacy skills they will need to thrive academically and professionally. This librarian will have the opportunity to teach courses offered through the Library.
This is an 11-month, non-tenured faculty position.
Primary Job Duties:
Serve as subject liaison to the Economics Department, International Affairs Program, Management and Business Department, Political Science Department, and other areas as assigned. Provide research consultations, information literacy instruction, embedded librarianship, and other curricular support to students and faculty in these departments and programs. Communicate regularly with and serve as primary point of contact for these departments and programs.
Cultivate and promote library collections designed to support research and teaching in subject areas including economics, international affairs, management and business, political science, and other areas as assigned. Develop, assess, and revise online resource guides, discovery tools, and other digital resources.
Collaborate with social sciences faculty to ascertain campus data needs in support of the curriculum. Oversee two Bloomberg Terminals in the library.
As a library faculty member, the Social Sciences Librarian will be expected to keep abreast of relevant scholarship for current awareness of trends, developments, and best practices in librarianship; participate in the delivery of general reference services; participate in regular instructional services team meetings; contribute to service in the library, on campus, and in the profession; and perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Education:
Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school or foreign equivalent. In certain circumstances, exceptions may be made for otherwise qualified applicants who hold an advanced degree in a relevant field of study. Degrees must be completed by time of application.
Minimum Required Experience:
- Keen understanding of the evolving role of academic libraries, particularly in a liberal arts college environment
- Demonstrated understanding of research processes in a range of social sciences, including data gathering, analysis, and visualization
- Ability to communicate complex concepts effectively and accessibly
- Demonstrated commitment to Lucy Scribner Library’s Mission and Skidmore College’s values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Recognizing that not every applicant will be able to bring every piece of expertise we may need, we are looking for applicants who are able to meet these additional optional criteria:
- Bloomberg Terminal expertise
- Advanced Excel and at least one other common data analysis tool such as SPSS, STATA, R
- Background or experience that demonstrates an independent ability to become proficient in additional data analysis and visualization tools
- Work experience in a social sciences librarian role
- Established track record of teaching excellence
Required documents needed to apply:
- On-line application
- Cover Letter
- List of Three References
- Pay Range: $62,000-$67,000
- To apply, use this link.
In order to prevent or significantly reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Skidmore College and protect all members of the College community from infection, successful candidates will be required to submit proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation of a medical condition or sincerely religious belief or practice.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)
Brittany von Schiller