Details or description
Senior Bibliographic Specialist II
Rush Materials Specialist
Collections Acquisitions, Monograph Acquisitions Unit
Princeton University Library
Collections Acquisitions, part of Scholarly Collections & Research Services, is seeking a Bibliographic Specialist II / Rush Materials Specialist dedicated to providing high-level support for processing a wide variety of requests for library materials that demand a rapid response and high priority treatment upon receipt. The position requires an individual who is able to work accurately and quickly, with a high degree of independent judgment, and capable of prioritizing assignments and performing under the pressure of deadlines.
The position requires an individual who is able to work accurately and quickly, with a high degree of independent judgment, and capable of prioritizing assignments and performing under the pressure of deadlines.
This specialist is responsible for the entire range of acquisition tasks, with minimal supervisory oversight, performing duties that include: preorder searching, vendor selection, order creation, invoicing, follow-up on problem orders, receiving, cataloging, charging, and all final processing steps intended to facilitate access to these urgently needed and time-sensitive materials.
A premium is placed on excellent communication skills because the rush specialist frequently utilizes “non-standard” ordering techniques, such as ordering directly via phone, e-mail, internet, and exercises all available departmental resources, including discretionary use of the departmental credit card for payment, to facilitate the procurement of materials and to ensure optimal turnaround time.
• Minimum of 3 years library or bookstore work experience;
• Excellent team work skills;
• Organizational and analytical skills demonstrating the ability to investigate, fully develop information, and exercise sound judgments based on this analysis; ability to work accurately and thoroughly with attention to detail;
• Ability to prioritize assignments and manage many tasks simultaneously;
• Ability to make independent decisions under the pressure of deadlines; a demonstrated ability to search, interpret, create, and edit MARC-format bibliographic records in local or remote databases; excellent communication skills enabling one to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and in a business-like manner, with internal as well as with external contacts;
• Working knowledge of the publishing and book trade industry;
• Good technical literacy and computer skills that include experience with Windows file management, Microsoft Office applications, along with good word processing and email skills;
• Good reading knowledge of a modern European or Slavic language in addition to English;
• Demonstrated expertise with navigating internet sources especially related to online bookstores, vendors’, publishers’, and other institutions’ websites or online files;
• Capable of working independently as well as cooperatively within a team environment; experience providing support through training, instruction, or oversight;
• Ability to do sustained work at a computer workstation most of day;
• Physically able to move library materials from shelves to book trucks and vice versa.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent job experience that demonstrates critical thinking and communication skills required for this position;
• Preference will be given to individuals with a comprehensive understanding of library technical services and specifically the acquisition-to-cataloging process.
• Reading knowledge of additional modern major European, Middle Eastern, or Far Eastern language, and the ability to transliterate non-Latin alphabet languages according to accepted standards are all highly desirable.
Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website and must include a resume and cover letter.
Princeton University Library is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and advancing the University’s commitment to racial equity within our community and in the world. We encourage candidates from all diverse backgrounds and life experiences to apply for our positions. To find out more about PUL’s work towards greater inclusivity, equity, and diversity, please see PUL’s “About” page.
Direct Link to Posting:
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)