Senior Archivist Center for Puerto Rican Studies
Details or description
The Center for Puerto Rican Studies (Centro) is a research center dedicated to the study and interpretation of the Puerto Rican experience in the United States. Centro is the primary repository of archival and library materials dedicated to stateside Puerto Ricans. Centro is committed to facilitating research projects useful to those in community organizations, public policy, and academia.
Reporting to the Archives Officer, specifically, duties include:
• The Senior Archivist provides thought leadership and promotes innovation in the management, access and storage of archival holdings.
• The Senior Archivist will drive result focused solutions and develop strategies to resolve complex problems, balancing customer needs and organizational priorities.
• The Senior Archivist will actively contribute to the development of organizational and staff capability and contribute to broader information management work within Centro, Hunter College and CUNY and the broader historical preservation sector.
• The Senior Archivist will be primarily assigned to oversee Centro’s archival program; for example, assigned to oversee survey and the acquisition of new collections, accession, arrangement, cataloguing, preservation, exhibition, use of archival materials and the collection of primary data that complements existing and new archival collections.
• The Senior Archivist will also oversee the organizing of hundreds of existing oral histories and to make all this content available to researchers, including the development of descriptive guides, the analysis of content and publication of findings in academic outlets, the development of digital products and the application of preservation standards to these collections.
• The Senior Archivist will also oversee special projects combining primary and secondary data thematically where archival collections would be contextualized and made available to specialists and the public.
• Donor relations: Develop relationships with perspective donors. Provide guidance through the accession process.
Bachelor’s Degree and six years’ related experience required; MLS degree and/or Master’s in a related field may be substituted for a portion of the experience requirement.
Experience in conducting and managing archival projects
Professional experience processing archival collections, and special projects
Demonstrated understanding of the principles of arrangement and description, and familiarity with archival standards, specifically DACS
Ability to recognize archival preservation issues and to apply basic preservation techniques
Knowledge of the history Puerto Rican populations and communities in the US
Working knowledge of English and Spanish languages
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
Strong organization and time-management skills; attention to accuracy and detail is essential
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access and Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
Experience with archival management software such as Archives Space.
To apply – https://cuny.jobs/new-york-ny/library-managersenior-archivist-center-for-puerto-rican-studies-centro/071CE9A67A164638BA09256E5F0379DD/job/