Brooklyn College seeks a creative, collaborative, and user-centered librarian at the entry-level to support teaching, learning and research as the faculty liaison to selected departments of the School of Natural & Behavioral Sciences (NBS), including Biology, Chemistry, Computer & Information Science, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology. The Reference & Instruction Librarian – Specialist in Sciences will serve the diverse Brooklyn College community through active engagement and outreach to students and faculty. The Librarian will be appointed at the rank of Instructor or tenure-track Assistant Professor. The position is housed in the Library Department and will have a start date in July 2020.
The Reference & Instruction Librarian – Specialist in Sciences (Science Librarian) joins a team of eight faculty librarians in providing general reference and instructional services to the campus community. Specific responsibilities as Science Librarian include support for the research and teaching needs of the selected departments of NBS, which include three of the top five majors at the college – Biology BS, Computer Science BS, Psychology BS – through traditional and virtual reference service, library research instruction, the creation and maintenance of subject-specific research guides, and developing and maintaining library collections in assigned disciplines. The Science Librarian supports the research and scholarly communication needs of NBS faculty and students, including support for research data management, through outreach, education, and individual consultations. The Science Librarian will work independently and collaboratively on special projects, and other duties, based on the needs of the library and librarian interest. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
The successful candidate will possess a strong service ethic, show evidence of teamwork, creativity, initiative, and flexibility, and will demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion, including serving diverse user groups. This is a full time, tenure-track position. Librarians at CUNY have faculty rank and status and are expected to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion including librarianship, scholarship, and service. Mentoring and support for scholarship is available to all Library faculty. Faculty at Brooklyn College and CUNY are represented by the Professional Staff Congress union (http://psc-cuny.org).
Brooklyn College is a microcosm of the ethnically rich borough of Brooklyn. It serves as well as a mirror of the wide diversity in New York City itself. A vibrant, intellectually engaged community, our student body comprises individuals from 150 countries, speaking 105 different languages, many of whom are the first in their family to attend college. The College transforms lives by providing access to outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts and sciences, business, education, and a vibrant general education curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences.
Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution, or foreign equivalent. A second master’s degree OR doctorate is also required for appointment as Assistant Professor; if appointed as Instructor, the candidate will be expected to complete an additional graduate degree within 5 years (CUNY tuition remission is available).
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education with the ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
- Familiarity with scholarly resources and reference tools in the sciences.
- Understanding of current and emerging trends in science disciplines.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- College-level or higher coursework in Biology, Chemistry or a related discipline.
- Experience working in an academic, research, medical, or large public library.
- Understanding of current issues surrounding scholarly communication in the sciences.
- Understanding of current issues surrounding research data management in the sciences.
- Engagement in professional and/or subject discipline organizations, research, or publications.
Salary commensurate with experience and credentials.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
STEP ONE – go to CUNY Jobs site https://tinyurl.com/BCscilib and Click “Apply Now”
Applicants should upload the following in .doc, .pdf, or .rtf format:
- An application letter indicating the desired position, and should detail how their librarianship, service and/or scholarship has supported the success of students from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in higher education; applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further CUNY’s commitment to diversity.
- Current curriculum vitae
- A sample of scholarly, academic, or professional writing in which the applicant is the primary or single author
STEP TWO – Go to https://websql.brooklyn.cuny.edu/hrref/
All applicants are required to have three confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically by their recommenders by visiting the link above and entering the contact information for three (3) recommenders.
The online system will automatically email your recommenders a request to submit a letter via the system. Full instructions will be provided.
Emailed or hard copy applications will not be considered.
November 15, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.