LIM College-The Business of Fashion & Lifestyle is currently seeking candidates for the Reference and Instruction Librarian.
Located in the heart of New York City since 1939, LIM is focused on the business of fashion and lifestyle. With majors ranging from Fashion Media and Fashion Merchandising to The Business of Cannabis, Consumer Analytics, and more, LIM prepares students for career success through an approach grounded in real-world experience and learning by doing. Offering associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs both on campus and online, LIM provides students with the education, experience, and connections to become successful business leaders in the global fashion and lifestyle industry.
The Reference and Instruction Librarian is responsible for the planning and implementation of all library instruction, reference services and information literacy initiatives. The librarian provides the students and faculty with research assistance in a variety of formats. Responsible for creating support materials for students and teaching library instructional classes in close collaboration with instructors. The librarian participates in college-wide programs and represents the library in an effective and professional manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
REFERENCE, INSTRUCTION, AND OUTREACH:
- Lead and assesses information literacy instruction and teach majority of instruction sessions per semester
- Develop lesson plans, teach, and conduct information literacy instruction for all programs and modalities
- Understand and use ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education and other information literacy models as a tool of instruction and assessment
- Map curriculum and plan sequence of instruction to scaffold information literacy skills
- Assess current information literacy program to identify gaps or overlapping skills and make adjustments
- Outreach to chairs and faculty to determine research component of the curriculum
- Manage the scheduling and coordination of all library instruction
- Provide library reference and research assistance to students in both graduate and undergraduate schools, teaching the importance and strategic use of library resources
- Knowledge and creation of support materials and tutorials
- The Reference & Instruction Librarian is responsible for the planning and implementation of all library instruction, reference services and information literacy initiatives.
- The librarian provides the students and faculty with research assistance in a variety of formats. Responsible for creating support materials for students and teaching library instructional classes in close collaboration with instructors.
- The librarian participates in college-wide programs and represents the library in an effective and professional manner.
- Investigate emerging technologies to enhance existing reference services and resources in a variety of formats (chat reference, online tutorials, etc….)
- Create and facilitate workshops for faculty
- Stay abreast of trends in library management, technology, reference service and information literacy through active participation in local and national associations, conferences, and relevant list-servs
- Serves as a liaison to library colleagues through sharing of relevant information from professional activities
- Compile and analyze all reference and instruction statistics
- Act as liaison to Fashion Merchandising Department and Graduate School
- Incorporate appropriate technology into all contexts of reference services
- Review, evaluate, and advise on the acquisition of library materials, especially those relevant to reference and instruction
- Advise on the reorganization and deaccessioning of books, magazines and newspapers
- Update marketing/promotional materials in all formats
- Liaise with publishers, collection vendors, database vendors and libraries
- Liaise with faculty and department chairs for acquisition requests
- Occasional circulation support
MANAGEMENT/ADMINISTRATION AS NEEDED:
- Create lesson plans for core classes to be used by all librarians
- Train all librarians on information literacy instruction and reference
- Develop content, look, and interactivity of research support materials and serve as the administrator to LibGuides
- Provide necessary information to be used in updating the library component of the college’s website
- Help develop policy guidelines for library reference processes and procedures in conjunction with colleagues (i.e.: Collection Development)
- Serve and actively contribute to college-wide committees
- As needed, assists the Director with the preparation of the yearly budget and quarterly department reports, end of term reports, and updates for the Board of Trustees
- As needed, assist the Director with accumulation and analysis of statistical information relevant to library outcomes in information literacy, outreach and collection development
- Maintain all statistics related to instruction and reference
- Some oversight of student aides in absence of the Director
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Library Services
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program is required.
- Candidates should be knowledgeable about and interested in business and fashion.
- At least two (2) years’ experience providing instruction and research services, preferably in an academic setting.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, Electronic Databases, LibGuides, and video editing programs.
- Clear writing ability and knowledge of trends and changes in academic libraries.
- Hybrid Work Schedules
- Remote Fridays throughout the Academic Year
- College Closed for Summer Fridays
- Monthly Catered Treats for Staff/Faculty
- Tuition Remission or Tuition Exchange
- 6 Weeks of Paid Holidays
- Birthday Day to Celebrate your Birthday
- 2-4 weeks of vacation based on longevity; 7 sick days annually
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance, 401K etc.
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)