Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Yale University seeks a dynamic and collaborative manager to lead the Monographic FastCat (Latin Script) Unit and to join our team of innovative technical services professionals. The Monograph Accessions Librarian develops and maintains an evolving array of integrated automated and manual workflows devoted to the timely accession and description of monographic resources in the Latin script for Yale University Library. This position, which leads a seven-person unit, is an exceptional opportunity for a librarian motivated by the purposeful application of staff skills, technology, and best practices to serve the resource needs of research library users. The Monograph Accessions role also offers the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in initiatives, such as those involving linked data, research data description and access, and collaborative collection development, where Yale Library is working with its peers to develop sustainable models for library services.
The position works closely with other units in Technical Services and its partner departments to support and improve access to monographic resources: optimizes processes including receiving, cataloging, invoice voucher creation, and FileNet invoice scanning; recommends and implements improvements to existing tools and workflows; provides technical services expertise internally to library staff and externally to the Yale community and colleagues in the profession; keeps abreast of trends in technical services practice, including acquisitions and cataloging, as well as trends in publishing, technology, and other areas that relate to monographic processing.
This position will be assigned a rank of Librarian 2 or 3 based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments. Librarian ranking information can be found at : http://bit.ly/
Required Education and Experience:
Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program for library and information science. Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments (see range assigned to this description as noted in the posting position title). Librarian ranking information can be found at: https://guides.library.yale.
• Two years of professional experience and accomplishments and demonstrated supervisory experience, including training and staff development. Appointment to the Librarian 3 rank requires at least five years of professional experience and demonstrated professional accomplishments.
• Demonstrated ability managing library technical services operations. Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging and acquisitions. Demonstrated ability with use of integrated library systems.
• Ability to plan, implement, and assess the effectiveness of library programs, projects, and services. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to solve problems and manage complex workflows.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including large-group presentations. Excellent interpersonal and team collaboration skills. Ability and adaptability needed to work effectively in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
• Working knowledge of one or more Western European languages. References must indicate reliability and professional activity in the acquisitions or cataloging areas of library science.
• Preferred Education and Experience: Demonstrated knowledge of linked data best practices and data management tools such as MarcEdit and OpenRefine. Demonstrated record of leading interdepartmental projects and bringing them to a successful conclusion in a timely fashion.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/YaleCareers-
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.