Established in 1998 and located in midtown Manhattan, Bloomsbury USA is a general interest publisher of adult and children’s books that has become known for both its high-quality fiction and non-fiction for adults and children as well as its extensive Academic publishing from the world’s most recognized experts.
This new role is a unique opportunity to lead the promotion and expansion of ABC-CLIO/Greenwood reference books (including where rebranded to Bloomsbury) into the US schools, public and academic library markets.
Reporting to the US Academic Marketing & Publicity Director, the Marketing Manager will be a creative self-starter excited by the idea of working in a newly created role and building brand recognition within the school and public library communities.
• Primary product responsibility is for ABC-CLIO/Greenwood books (and legacy as we rebrand to Bloomsbury), though this may expand in time to other imprints
• Lead the planning, creation, and execution of marketing plans for titles for the US school and public libraries. Work in close association with the sales, editorial, and product management teams to drive growth and brand awareness for these products and titles within the subject areas of social studies, history, cultural studies, and more in the humanities.
• Devise and oversee the implementation of a holistic marketing strategy including, but not limited to:
o Sales support
o Library and supplier outreach
o Content Marketing
o Social Media
o Event strategy/conference marketing/webinars
o Digital Marketing
o Optimised metadata and SEO
• Build brand: create and develop marketing materials that best position our products in the marketplace, support and advance our sales efforts, raise awareness, and drive usage.
• Understand librarians’ needs and create marketing campaigns and programs to support that effort. Also, understand the competitive landscape and provide insights to support sales and product development.
• Consult with other departments globally, especially Sales, Editorial, Bloomsbury Digital Resources (BDR) and the Senior Marketing Manager for Reference and Libraries for ex-US, ensuring open and effective communication. Provide market feedback that helps develop and execute departmental strategy and processes.
• Work with adoptions sales and marketing to embed Libraries Unlimited (LU) textbooks (part of the ABC-CLIO portfolio) on US librarian professional development (LPD) courses. Adoptions to faculty will be the responsibility of the adoptions team, but the Marketing Manager will promote LU direct to libraries as appropriate.
• Work with K-12 School Marketing Manager (in BDR) to promote print and online incarnations together, giving libraries a choice of format, and scheduling joint use of libraries newsletter.
• Help manage the integration of ABC-CLIO data, workflows and rebranding.
• 5+ years of experience in marketing, preferably within reference and/or K-12 education publishing. Ideally some experience/knowledge of public and/or academic library marketing
• An understanding of high school curricula and library channels in the US market
• Knowledge of library data feeds, SEO, and metadata best practice, as tools to enhance discoverability and sales
• Experience managing a budget and demonstrable financial awareness
• Proven record of implementing best practices related to campaigns, positioning, branding, and driving overall awareness
• A confident, creative, collaborative person with excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, a can-do attitude, and the ability to identify and capitalize on new opportunities
• A self-starter with a proven ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and prioritize workload
• Systems Knowledge:
o Customer relationship management (CRM)
o Email software provider (ESP) software
o Content management system (CMS)
Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including intermediate Excel
• Direct experience of organising and carrying out the following:
o Digital marketing by email, web, social media and pay-per-click
o Library conference attendance/planning/producing lists/organizing inserts
o Library and/or schools promotions and advertising
o Catalog project management, including budgeting, commissioning design, mail and print
o Optimising discoverability, SEO and metadata
o Copywriting for libraries
Candidates must reside in NY, NJ, CT, or PA and be able to commute to Bloomsbury USA’s New York City office on a hybrid schedule.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Bloomsbury Publishing USA is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. Our company has always followed, and will continue to follow, a policy of providing equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sex, ethnicity, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
We welcome and celebrate talent from all backgrounds and believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are crucial elements to our success. We are dedicated to actively and continuously improving our practices to better support all of our employees.