Library Assistant II – Centenary University, Hackettstown, NJ
Application Due: Open Until Filled
The Library Assistant II works in many areas of Library services and operations performing moderately complex tasks, including assisting students, faculty, and staff at the library information desk, and supporting various library functions as assigned, including Interlibrary Loan, Periodicals, Archives, Digitization, etc. The Library Assistant II also supports library outreach and marketing efforts.
The University reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS
· Assists at Library Information Desk at assigned times and when needed
Checks in/discharges library materials/equipment, using library system (Koha)
Assists patrons in using various equipment (e.g. scanners, printers, computers)
Helps patrons locate materials online and on shelf
Teaches students how to use the online catalog and access the library’s online databases
Explains library policy and procedures to patrons
Assists patrons with basic reference questions/research
· Processes interlibrary loan requests
· Contributes to library outreach, events, and communications
· Digitizes and supervises digitization projects for accessibility of archival items
· Assists with collection maintenance; shelving, shelf reading; inventory; repair; de-accessioning of materials; displays
· Creates and maintains various online and manual records and files
· Helps maintain library digital collections in DSpace
· May assist with ordering and processing new library materials, in physical and/or digital formats
· Performs basic cataloging functions using OCLC
· Opens/closes the building as scheduled, follows opening/closing procedures
· Completes additional duties as assigned
One (1) to Three (3) years library experience
Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Strong service mentality and attention to detail
Ability to work together with colleagues in a collaborative team environment
Proficiency with computers, the Internet, and academic databases
Flexibility and resourcefulness
EDUCATION/SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
Experience in higher education environment
Library experience in an academic library setting
Commitment to providing excellent service
Proficiency with Microsoft 365 Office Suite
Proficiency with graphic design tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Canva) and social media
Video editing skills (Adobe Premiere) or web editing (LibGuides) skills also a plus
Ability to work nights and weekends on a rotating basis
This position may be eligible for some remote work
For more information about working at Centenary, please click here.
Centenary University is a learning community comprised of multifaceted and complex differences and we welcome all. We offer a supportive environment that promotes acceptance, a culture of service, skills of critical thought, and purposeful action. We are responsible for the efforts needed to create the change we seek.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Centenary University where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, marital status, service in Armed Forces, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, termination and other terms and conditions of employment.
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)