The Mercy College Libraries is seeking a full-time librarian with strong reference, instruction, and technology skills. English Literature/Humanities background is highly preferred. Prime candidates will be passionate about information literacy and demonstrate ability to work with and teach a diverse student population, both online and on-site. The position will be based at the Dobbs Ferry campus. The candidate must be willing to travel between three campuses if needed.
· Provide information literacy instruction in both physical classroom and online learning environments, and serve as a liaison to the School of Liberal Arts
· Assist in development of face-to-face, blended, and online instructional sessions and modalities
· Provide library instruction to the core sequence of General Education courses, which include Critical Inquiry, English 112, English 220, Junior Seminar, and other courses.
· Collaborate with Program Directors and faculty to ensure appropriate library services and resources are available to students
· Provide research and information services, including in-person and virtual one-on-one research consultations, desk support, and online chat
· Assist in the application of assessment tools and evaluation strategies
· Develop information and research aids such as libguides, webpages, prerecorded videos, and online tutorials
· Provide assistance in exploring and applying technology in innovative ways to teach and develop information literacy
· Participate actively in professional organizations and consortiums at the local, regional, and national levels
· Collaborate with academic and non-academic units as needed, such as the Learning Center and Center for Teaching and Learning
· Assist with planning and organizing library programs and student activities and events
Experience and/or Skills Required
· Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
· Knowledge of the concepts, goals, and methods of information literacy instruction
· Knowledge of current and emerging instructional technologies
· Effective time and project management skills with the ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team
· 1-3 years of professional experience working in an academic library setting
· 1-3 years of library instruction experience
· Experience with software, tools, systems, and resources used in academic libraries
· Occasional travel to other Mercy campuses is expected
· Some night and weekend work may be required
Education Required or Min Education Required
· MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program
ABOUT MERCY COLLEGE:
Mercy College is a dynamic, diverse New York City area college whose students are on a personal mission to get the most out of life by getting the most out of their education. Our institution is an independent, coeducational college that offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs within five schools: Business, Education, Health and Natural Sciences, Liberal Arts and Social and Behavioral Sciences. Mercy College’s efforts in these programs have been recognized over the last several years. As a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Mercy College, has been honored by being ranked nationally among the top Colleges in the country for Hispanics by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU).
Mercy College was further recognized by HACU as a national leader in awarding bachelor’s degrees to Hispanics in several disciplines, including Psychology, Sociology and Business. Additionally, to support our diverse student body, Mercy College has pursued and been awarded a number of federal grants which enable us to better develop and deliver services to our students. As a Hispanic Serving Institution, Mercy College is proud to be recognized as an institution which helps under-served students to achieve their educational aspirations. Westchester Magazine has also named Mercy College the Best College in Westchester county in 2019 and 2020.The vibrancy of the College culture is sustained by a diverse student body from around the region. Enrollment, including full-time and part-time undergraduates and graduates is approximately 10,557; The College offers campuses in Dobbs Ferry, Bronx, Manhattan as well as online offerings.
At Mercy College, we strive to provide employees and their families with a comprehensive and valuable benefits package. We offer high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts, flexible spending, and much more.
Mercy College is committed to providing motivated students the opportunity to transform their lives through higher education by offering liberal arts and professional programs in personalized and high quality learning environments, thus preparing students to embark on rewarding careers, to continue learning throughout their lives and to act ethically and responsibly in a changing world.
Mercy College’s service philosophy is to enrich lives and inspire success by working together to provide a personalized and caring environment. In alignment with the service excellence standards, Mercy College employees ensure that students/staff receive responses in a timely manner, provide accurate information, communicate positively and courteously (oral/written), and maximize resources to service the needs of the college community.