NYIT (New York Institute of Technology) offers 90 degree programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees, in more than 50 fields of study, including architecture and design; arts and sciences; education; engineering and computing sciences; health professions; management; and osteopathic medicine. A non-profit independent, private institution of higher education, NYIT has 9,000 students at campuses in New York City (Manhattan) and Long Island (Old Westbury) in New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; Vancouver, British Columbia; and in various programs around the world. NYIT sponsors 13 NCAA Division II programs.
NYIT is guided by its mission to provide career-oriented professional education, offer access to opportunity to all qualified students, and support research and scholarship that benefit the larger world. More than 100,000 graduates have received degrees from NYIT. For more information, visit nyit.edu.
New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) seeks an Emerging Technology Librarian I to work at our NYC campus. Reporting to the Director of Branch Services, the Emerging Technology Librarian will provide leadership and promote awareness of emerging technologies to improve the patron experience at the Innovation Labs.
• Coordinates activities for the innovation labs and is the main point of contact for workshops and consultations.
• Coordinates development of innovative products and services to meet patron needs, including coordinated outreach to NYIT departments intended to improve the use and application of library resources across the curriculum.
• Assist in maintaining budgets, reports, and statistics that correspond to innovation labs and attend meetings.
• Provides reference services as part of the reference team, including teaching, consultations and virtual reference.
• Work closely with Cataloging dept. to ensure smooth workflow in cataloging of electronic resources.
• Acts as technology resource for library personnel on the various library tools and applications.
• Keeps current with emerging technologies (3D printing and design, virtual reality, electronics, programming, media production).
• Maintain online presence, outreach and instructional materials for Innovation Labs services and resources.
• Curate the technologies available in the Innovation Labs.
• Participate in University services as appropriate.
• An effective collaborator, coordinator, team builder, and mentor and who is skilled at leveraging the talents of others and solving problems.
• Ability and willingness to participate in events outside the workday schedule.
• Experience developing innovative and novel content for informal settings.
• Comfortable with a hands on approach, particularly an ability to improvise with audiences of various multicultural background with the use of hand tools, electronics, computer software, hardware and various other technologies such as 3-D printers, Arduino, etc.
• Other tasks as assigned.
MLS or MLIS from accredited ALA school required.
Strong library technology skills and 1-year experience in a maker space or similar environment preferred.
Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly both in written and oral form.
Experience with Social Media needed.
NYIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity