Instruction & Outreach Librarian – Centenary University, Hackettstown, NJ
Application Due: Open Until Filled
The Instruction & Outreach Librarian oversees and is responsible for designing, teaching, and promoting the information literacy program within an outcomes-assessment and skills-based model and provides reference services to patrons. Primary responsibilities include developing, conducting, and evaluating library instruction sessions; creating instructional materials in diverse formats; working as a library liaison to integrate information competencies into the curriculum; providing point-of-use reference and research consultation service; outreach; collaborating to plan events and workshops; collaborating with colleagues to create library publications and social media communications.
The University reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS
· Provide individualized and class instruction in the use of library resources, including use of specialized databases, electronic journals, and effective research strategies and evaluating resources
· Provide instruction and reference services across modalities (in-person, online synchronous via Teams or Zoom, or asynchronous) as needed/appropriate
· Promote library and instructional services by communicating the value of information literacy to campus colleagues through faculty and student orientations and workshops
· Act as liaison with academic departments to establish cooperative efforts to support pedagogy and collection development efforts
· Collaborate with faculty to promote the effective use of print and electronic resources
· Collaborate with faculty to develop/create syllabus research assignments, interactions and assessments of information literacy outcomes and online courses
· Design and develop subject guides using LibGuides and other library instructional materials, learning objects, and tutorials.
· Conduct ongoing assessments of campus and student learning
· Identify learning needs of students, and creatively address identified needs across multiple contexts drawing on a repertoire of tools, methods, and theories
· Provide direct research and reference services to students, faculty, administration, and other patrons utilizing a broad range of print and online resources by phone, email, chat and in person
· Provide extended, personal research and reference consultations by appointment
· Maintain currency in both pedagogy and information literacy across disciplines
· Collaborate with library colleagues or other departments to plan events and workshops
· Design and contribute to library publications and social media communications
· Assist in maintaining and developing the library’s collection including print and electronic resources
· Participate on university committees, activities of professional organizations, and remain aware of library trends through professional literature
· Completes additional duties as assigned
· One (1) to Three (3) years library experience
· Experience delivering library instruction
· Demonstrated familiarity with current theory and practice in library instruction and assessment
· Proven ability to create and sustain a welcoming team environment
· Knowledge of electronic and print reference and information resources
· Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
· Proficient technical skills with working knowledge of basic Microsoft Office applications, web development tools, and social media.
· Flexibility and resourcefulness
EDUCATION/SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited school
Prime candidates will be passionate about the role of information literacy instruction, curriculum planning, and assessment in higher education and have the enthusiasm, initiative and demonstrated ability to work with and teach a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population.
· Experience in collaborating with teaching faculty
· Knowledge of online module creation and appropriate tools
· A range of teaching skills including a variety of formats and methods
· Project management, community outreach, and social media experience
Ability to work nights and weekends on a rotating basis
This position may be eligible for some remote work
For more information about working at Centenary, please click here.
Centenary University is a learning community comprised of multifaceted and complex differences and we welcome all. We offer a supportive environment that promotes acceptance, a culture of service, skills of critical thought, and purposeful action. We are responsible for the efforts needed to create the change we seek.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Centenary University where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, marital status, service in Armed Forces, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, termination and other terms and conditions of employment.
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)