Details or description
The Sarah Lawrence College Library invites applications for the position of Head of Access Services. This position reports to the Library Director and currently oversees operations of the Circulation Department, Interlibrary Loan Department, Visual Resources Library, and Music Library. The successful candidate will have an inclusive, patron-centered approach to access services, be a collegial and pro-active leader, and will serve a key role in supporting the students, faculty, and wider Sarah Lawrence Community by fostering a welcoming environment for learning and creativity. In addition to providing excellent patron service, the Head of Access Services monitors trends and recommends emerging technologies for resource sharing, circulation, and facilities management. Candidates with prior experience and familiarity with innovative and emerging library services and technologies (e.g. makerspaces, 3-D printing, etc.) are particularly welcomed to apply.
Sarah Lawrence is a prestigious, coeducational liberal arts college that consistently ranks among the leading liberal arts colleges in the country. Sarah Lawrence is known for its pioneering approach to education, its rich history of impassioned intellectual and civic engagement, and its vibrant, successful alumni. In close proximity to the unparalleled offerings of New York City, the historic campus, located in southern Westchester, is home to an intellectually curious and diverse community.
This position is located in Bronxville, NY. This is a full-time exempt position. Hours during the academic year are Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30, with participation in a Saturday rotation.
Librarians at Sarah Lawrence College are administrative staff members. For more about working at Sarah Lawrence College, please visit our Human Resources Department website: https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/human-resources/working-here.html.
• Oversees the operation of Circulation Departments in both the Main Library and Music Library, the Interlibrary Loan Department, and Visual Resources Library.
• Establishes departmental and individual goals, objectives, and performance standards.
• Manages work schedules to ensure adequate service desk staffing during all hours of operation.
• Hires, trains, and supervises 3.4 FTE employees and, in collaboration with the Circulation Services Assistant, manages over approximately 30 student employees during the academic year, including interviewing, hiring, time reporting, performance evaluations, training and daily work operations.
• Projects and manages the department’s student employee budget.
• Manages building access issues and hours, updates community on changes, and serves as first point of contact for reporting library facilities and safety issues to Library administration or campus offices for follow-up and resolution.
• Leads by example and plays a key role in maintaining excellent patron service.
• Promotes patron satisfaction through communication and education about library services and policies.
• Develops, implements, and documents Access Services policies and procedures
• Responds to patron and staff inquiries and issues regarding library hours, services, rules, and regulations, including overseeing all aspects of billing for overdue materials, reconciling bills, ensuring courteous conflict resolution and troubleshooting.
• Manages the collection and analysis of statistics for Circulation, Interlibrary Loan, and Visual Resources; makes data-driven recommendations for improvements in policies and services.
• Participates in projects across the library and the college as needed, and serves as leader for continuing physical collection maintenance, inventory control and deaccessioning initiatives.
• Ensures that collections are accessible through activities such as shelving, shelf-reading and proper signage
• Works closely with other library senior staff to develop policies that support the college’s educational mission
• Bachelor’s degree
• Supervisory experience
• Ability to effectively plan and delegate the work of others
• 2-4 years work experience in a library
• Demonstrated knowledge of two or more core access services functions (circulation, document delivery, interlibrary loan, stacks maintenance, technology /makerspace service)
• Demonstrated familiarity with integrated library systems and technology
• Excellent English-language written and oral communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with a diverse population.
• Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• Supervisory experience in an academic library or similar setting
• 2-4 years work experience in an academic library
• Experience assessing and planning for the use and development of learning spaces.
• Demonstrated understanding of the evolving nature of higher education and library users’ changing needs.
• Experience with the OCLC WMS library services platform
• Experience with the Tipasa interlibrary loan management system
• Familiarity with visual resource management tools, systems and best practices
• Experience or familiarity with instructional technology and makerspaces
• Familiarity with institutional repositories and archives
• Experience producing and manipulating digital files, PDFs and multiple image/audio/video formats
• Experience creating reports, generating statistics, and creating and using libguides
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Effective October 15, 2021, all employees of Sarah Lawrence College must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Exceptions to this requirement will only be considered for documented medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs. Any offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and submission of proof of vaccination.
Your contact information (in case we have any questions)