Sarah Lawrence is a prestigious, residential, coeducational liberal arts college located in Westchester County, New York. Founded in 1926 and consistently ranked among the leading liberal arts colleges in the country, Sarah Lawrence is known for its pioneering approach to education, rich history of impassioned intellectual and civic engagement, and vibrant, successful alumni.
At the heart and center of campus, the Esther Raushenbush Library seeks an Evening Access Services Assistant—a recurring 9 month, full-time position with benefits (September–May). Reporting to the Access Services Supervisor, the position hours are Tuesday–Thursday from 5:00pm-1:00am, and Friday—Saturday from 2:00pm-10:00pm, with flexible variation across holiday periods. The library is continually innovating in ways to engage with students. Recent initiatives have included 3D printing, sewing, an ongoing Student Life Preservation Project with Archives, interactive art installations and a hugely popular library takeover dance party during Orientation. We welcome anyone with imagination and creativity, an eye toward possibility, and a willingness to learn on-the-job to join our highly collegial team. Pay range: $20-21/hour.
• During shift, monitors student workers and library spaces, oversees circulation desk operations including receiving and lending of all circulating items.
• Troubleshoots Integrated Library System, making sure patron accounts are up to date.
• Enforces policies for maintaining a scholarly environment throughout the library, deferring to Campus Safety when necessary.
• Provides coverage of circulation desk operations on an as needed basis due to student staffing absences/vacancies.
• Closes the building and handles general inquires relating to building and security while on duty. Provides initial response to emergencies.
• Responsible for answering patron questions related to Access Services as needed and serves as a resource for other questions related to other Library services.
• Collaborates with the Access Services Supervisor to distribute work to and monitor work done by student workers.
• Troubleshoots common issues with library printers or other equipment as needed.
• Checks in regularly with daytime Access Services Supervisor and collaborates on needs and special projects as they arise.
• Performs other related work as needed.
Requirements include knowledge and skills developed through minimum 1-2 years of work experience in a library, office or job related to customer service.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Work experience in a library or equivalent environment.
• Previous experience directing or overseeing the work of others.
• Significant customer service experience.
• Experience with MS Office, including Outlook and internet work applications.