Position Summary / Job Description
Reporting to the Dean of College Libraries, the Director of Library Instruction plays an essential role in the Library Management Team. This position has primary responsibility for ensuring the Libraries meets the curricular needs of the college, in both information literacy and collection development. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to conduct extensive outreach to faculty and build upon the success of the library’s current instruction program.
Lead and direct in the collaborative design, delivery, and assessment of instructional services (both online and in person) and coordinates the teaching activities of the library.
Supervise, train, mentor and support full time and part-time Librarians.
Maintain class instruction schedule.
Coordinate library liaison assignments to academic departments.
Develop and implement library outreach programs to better engage faculty members in the use and application of information resources.
Create new initiatives that respond to trends in teaching and learning.
Collect documentation and statistical information in library instruction.
Assign, direct, and supervise collection development activities by Librarians in collaboration with Dean of Libraries.
As a campus citizen, participate in library and college-wide committees.
Required / Minimum Qualifications
– Demonstrated ability to interact with a culturally diverse population and to effectively and respectfully function and communicate within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
– Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library science or information science program.
– At least five years’ experience in an academic library.
– Minimum 2 years of progressively increasing supervisory experience.
– Knowledge of instructional design and principles of learning.
– Knowledge of information literacy best practices in strategies, methodologies, trends and practice within academic libraries.
– Experience with assessment of library instruction services and activities.
– Excellent communication, collaboration, outreach and customer service skills.
– Experience with integrated library systems (Koha preferred), library databases, Springshare products and commonly used library technologies.
– Previous community college experience.
– Experience in a multi-campus academic setting.
– Experience with OER and/or knowledge of copyright, permissions, fair use and appropriate attribution of CC licensed materials.
For full consideration please send resume, cover letter, salary expectations and a list of three professional references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line Director of Library Instruction. Only applicants who follow this format will be considered.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.