Application Due: Open Until Filled
Director for the Taylor Memorial Library (TML)
Location: Hackettstown with possibility of some remote work
Centenary University seeks a Director for the Taylor Memorial Library (TML). We seek a Director of the TML with leadership skills to guide the library through times of rapid change, with strategic planning skills to effectively prepare and adapt to changes in the information environment, and communication and mediation skills to keep focus on the library as the “heart of the campus” by maintaining visibility for the library and creating and strengthening partnerships across campus.
TML is both a facility and a function with a strong reputation on campus for its service orientation. Both the Library and our University are small and able to provide highly individualized attention for all students. However, this also places demand on a talented and versatile team that often has to serve in cross-functional roles. The place of the library, given TML’s emphasis on its skills programming, needs to become more significant in the student’s experience, and we seek a director who can make that happen.
The University reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS:
The director will be conversant, talented, and passionate about the following issues:
- Leadership and Marketing Communications. Strong leadership will be expected from the next Director as the Face of TML. In particular, the ability to bridge silos, establish collaborations and partnerships, and ensure that the campus sees the value of TML.
- Information Literacy Programming. As one of TML’s core functions, the Director will have a definitive vision of how to expand programming and a demonstrated knowledge of key issues, emerging pedagogy trends, best practices, principles of user-oriented design, and of concepts used in information and digital literacy.
- Inclusive Collection Development. This includes a heavy focus on Open Educational Resources (OERs) and an advocacy strategy to support the curricular needs of faculty and academic departments.
- Space Deployment Issues. As the library evolves and seeks to be more welcoming of students of diverse learning styles and needs and transforms itself into a 3rd space and a foundation for the academic enterprise, we need to determine how best to accomplish this mission within the confined spaces of our existing building.
- Information Technology. The Library Director will support the further integration of information technology within multi-use library spaces, in collaboration with the Office of Information Technology. TML seeks to further develop our digital infrastructure for technologies that promote content creation and ideation.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As our student body diversifies, we need a director who can ensure that the library as both facility and function meets the imperative of diversity and inclusion that leads to a sense of belonging.
- Leads and manages the staff of the Taylor Memorial Library including visioning, strategic planning, and representing the interests of TML as a staff and a function to senior administration.
- Prepares and oversees the annual budget; resource advocacy, acquisition, and deployment.
- Responsible for the efficient management and direction of the library, including operations, budget, supervision and direction of library staff, compliance with federal, state, and institutional requirements.
- Responsible for development of relevant policies.
- Collaborates with Library staff and faculty to plan, design and implement library programs, events, classes and services to all constituents.
- Compiles, maintains, and delivers reports and analysis of library operations.
- Plans and prepares for future growth and innovation; prepares and submits proposals for enhancement of services based on objective need analysis and use projections.
- Responsible for maintaining and developing relationships within Academic Affairs and other offices and departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS:
· Required: Required: Master’s Degree in a relevant area of information sciences or knowledge management.
o Preferred: Master of Library Science.
· Required: Minimum of five years of experience in a college/university library.
o Preferred: Ten years of experience in a college/university library.
· Required: Proficiency in appropriate technologies for a library professional.
o Preferred: Proficiency in cutting edge technologies and media.
· Required: A leadership style that values and creates adaptability and integration.
· Required: Experience in postsecondary instruction;
o Preferred: Experience in managing postsecondary instruction programs.
· Required: A commitment to Academic Excellence and Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
For more information about working at Centenary, please click here.
Centenary University is a learning community comprised of multifaceted and complex differences and we welcome all. We offer a supportive environment that promotes acceptance, a culture of service, skills of critical thought, and purposeful action. We are responsible for the efforts needed to create the change we seek.
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Centenary University where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, marital status, service in Armed Forces, disability or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, termination and other terms and conditions of employment.