Digital Initiatives and Special Collections Librarian
Posting Date: March 18, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
William Paterson University invites applications for a twelve month tenure-track position as Digital Initiatives and Special Collections Librarian at the rank of Librarian III.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Resource Management, the Digital Initiatives and Special Collections Librarian leads and manages the University’s digital initiatives and special collections activities, including its digital repository and archival collections. The Librarian also coordinates planning, implementation, and monitoring of digital projects, creates metadata, develops and conducts outreach, and assesses the effectiveness of collections, initiatives, and services.
The David and Lorraine Cheng Library is a major center of activity within William Paterson University, admired for its high standards of customer service and commitment to student success. The University’s institutional repository and special collections showcase works of William Paterson University faculty, students, and staff and seeks to documents the history and life of the institution as well as the surrounding community.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Manage the William Paterson University institutional repository (IR) at Cheng Library; develop and maintain necessary infrastructures.
• Formulate strategies, policies, procedures and best practices for managing workflows related to digital projects and digital preservation.
• Identify and actively recruit content for the IR.
• Establish and maintain relationships with various University constituents to promote awareness and participation in digital projects and initiatives.
• Provide leadership and planning for building, processing, and maintaining special collections in a variety of formats.
• Lead the development of procedures and guidelines for Special Collections.
• Provide leadership in identifying grant opportunities to support digital initiatives, special collections, and related infrastructure and activities.
• Serves as a liaison to assigned departments in collection development activities.
• Participate in the Library’s User Education program.
• Participate in the reference rotation as needed.
• Serve on Library, University, regional and national committees as appropriate.
• Perform other duties as assigned and appropriate for the position.
• ALA-accredited Master’s in Library Science (by time of appointment).
• Second master’s degree required (by time of application for tenure).
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with digital image file formats, file format conversion and related software, image editing applications, and appropriate metadata schemes.
• Experience developing web applications with programming languages.
• Demonstrated commitment to service.
• Evidence of commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Second master’s degree preferred at time of appointment.
• Evidence of being able to communicate effectively in oral and written format
• Experience or coursework related to archives and special collections, organizing and managing an institutional repository and/or digital preservation projects.
• Evidence of having excellent organizational skills, including ability to comply with policies and procedures, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines.
Personal attributes and traits:
• Track record of exhibiting emotional intelligence with an ability to remain rational and in control when facing a problem or crisis.
• Demonstrated ability to be flexible and collegial with a demonstrated enjoyment and positive attitude toward job and career.
• Capacity to objectively listen to understand and interpret what others are saying.
• Able to treat others fairly regardless of personal biases or beliefs.
About William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls nearly 10,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 370-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.
Invitation to apply:
Please Click Here to apply for the position.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
• Complete an application
• Submit a cover letter & CV
• Provide names/contacts of three professional references
Submission of all documents listed above is required for consideration.
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please email email@example.com for general questions regarding this search.
The Clery Act (The Jean Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistic Act) requires all institutions of higher learning to make available to prospective employees our agency’s Annual Security Report. A copy of this information is available on the University Police Department website at the Clery Act page. A paper copy of this report can be obtained at the University Police Department upon request.
William Paterson University is an equal opportunity employer that actively values and supports diversity among faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.