Digital Humanities Librarian
Sarah Lawrence College is seeking an intellectually curious technologist to join the Esther Raushenbush Library team in the role of Digital Humanities Librarian. Sarah Lawrence’s unique and innovative student-driven approach to education offers a fertile laboratory for the development of a digital humanities initiative grounded in interdisciplinary collaboration. The Digital Humanities Librarian will provide key leadership in helping build a digital humanities program on campus, one that takes advantage of the rich opportunities afforded by the library’s College Archives and the growing popularity of alternative forms of scholarly production.
Working with faculty, staff and students across all disciplines, the digital humanities librarian will foster successful use and integration of digital approaches to research, teaching, and learning in the classroom, and help identify innovative and evolving digital tools and resources that advance scholarly investigation. Together with other research Librarians and campus partners, the digital humanities librarian will build upon traditional research methodologies, while working to increase the understanding and application of digital scholarship. The ideal candidate will be skilled at helping others at a variety of levels of expertise use commonly deployed digital scholarship tools, will have a strong grounding in library programs and services and a history of creating strong collaborative relationships with faculty, students and library staff.
Key Roles on Campus:
– Establish and grow a dynamic, multifaceted program that addresses the growing demand for digital arts, humanities and scholarship support on campus.
– Serve as change agent, partner, and resource person for research librarians and library and archive staff involved in facilitating faculty and student digital projects
– Demonstrate a broad understanding of scholarship in the digital environment, and have experience with one or more digital humanities methodologies, e.g., text analysis, mining, and/or scholarly encoding, mapping, data visualization, podcasting, digital archives, augmented reality, etc.
– Instruct and incorporate digital literacies into coursework and work with faculty to create meaningful digital humanities roles for students
– Provide research consultations and instruction for students and faculty members engaged with digital arts and humanities projects
– Explore and stay abreast of digital methodologies and to use such tools and skills in the solution of humanities research problems.
– Be knowledgeable and able to speak about a range of library issues, including scholarly communication, digital initiatives, the use and development of online tools, copyright and digital project preservation and sustainability
– Analyze and understand users’ research and information needs to develop, refine, assess, and sustain research and information services and programs in all formats.
– Actively engage with faculty and students as partners in programmatically integrating digital fluency and information literacy concepts and skills into the curriculum.
– An ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree in relevant subject area or an equivalent combination of education and experience
– 2-3 years’ experience teaching and/or collaborating with faculty and students in the design of courses and curricula employing digital methodologies and engaging in research that extends scholarship into the digital space
– Knowledge of data issues in the research/knowledge creation lifecycle
– Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, subject librarians, special collections and others in order to advance digital arts and humanities research
– Experience in a library or technology position that includes support of services and technologies that are frequently used in digital scholarship
– A passion for digital scholarship, and particularly a passion for inspiring others to see new possibilities
Requirements for Employment:
Effective October 15, 2021, all employees of Sarah Lawrence College must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Exceptions to this requirement will only be considered for documented medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs. Any offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and submission of proof of vaccination.
Position Type Full Time
For more details and application submission please visit: