Data Services Specialist
PRINCETON UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
PRINCETON, NEW JERSEY
Requisition # D-19-LIB-0002
Princeton University Library seeks a Data Services Specialist to assist our world class researchers and play a critical role in academic research and instruction. The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide statistical and software consulting services for undergraduates, graduate students and faculty engaged in quantitative analysis of machine-readable data in a variety of academic disciplines, particularly economics, finance, politics, public policy, and sociology;
- Assist in the choice, application, and interpretation of quantitative methods, and with the use of statistical software needed to implement these methods;
- Retrieve/manipulate complex data from a variety of sources; transfer data between platforms for use in multiple computing environments; provide extracts/tables based on electronic data, including government census/survey data and public opinion polls;
- Engage in individual consultation and group instruction.
- Maintain web presence, including creation of documentation.
- Evaluate and design web-based access tools and end-user systems.
- Maintain efficient operation of the Data and Statistical Services (DSS) Lab and digital data archive.
- Process data and creates metadata for files in the data archive.
For more detail on Data and Statistical Services, see https://dss.princeton.edu/.
The Princeton University Library is one of the world’s leading research libraries. It employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, 9 specialized branches, and 3 storage facilities. The Library supports a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,800 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Holdings include more than 10 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. More information: http://library.princeton.edu/
- Master’s degree and intermediate to expert experience with STATA and R.
- Strong background in computing and quantitative data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability and experience functioning successfully in a fast-paced environment with a strong service orientation.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative social science or equivalent experience.
- Experience in using complex machine-readable data; programming ability.
- Expert level Stata and R.
- Experience with qualitative data software.
- strong econometrics background or familiarity with economic and/or financial data.
- Expertise with other statistical packages, particularly SAS, SPSS, and MATLAB.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate rank depending upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website: http://dof.princeton.edu/academicjobs and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information. This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
Direct Link to application:
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW