- Master’s degree in Library Information Science/Studies from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience with web design and development.
- experience working with web authoring tools and content management systems.
- Graphical design ability, including knowledge of software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, or GIMP.
- Knowledge of current web accessibility standards and how these standards affect web design and patron access, including responsive web design.
- Knowledge of technologies for data management and curation, and familiarity with tools for archiving and sharing research data.
- Project management skills; experience working in a team environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge of WordPress web content management system.
- Experience with Springshare’s LibApps enterprise (LibGuides, LibAnswers, etc.).
- Understanding of the role and potential of the Web in the teaching, learning, and research pursuits of a large university setting.
- Understanding of the information seeking behaviors in an academic research environment and commitment to user-centered library services.
- Ability to write concisely and effectively for the web, and create effective documentation for both IT and non-IT staff regarding technical processes and procedures.
- Strong interest in emerging technologies, library technology trends, general trends in librarianship and higher education that affect library technology.
- Supervisory and training experience.
- Experience in an academic library setting.
Responsibilities & Requirements
Stony Brook Libraries are known for a wide-range of print and digital resources, and world-renowned special collections. The Stony Brook Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) with a Health Sciences Center Library that is a member of the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The libraries are engaged in an ambitious and dynamic strategic planning (2015-2018). The collection exceeds 2 million volumes, including e-books, print and electronic holdings of scholarly journal subscriptions, microforms, music recordings, and a sizable map collection. The SBU Libraries include 6 distinct facilities, including Melville Library, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Chemistry, Math/Physics, Southampton and Health Science Center Libraries, and the SUNY Korea-SBU Campus. The University Libraries stand as the largest academic research library on Long Island, serving as a resource in the local community, state-wide, nationally and internationally. The libraries maintain memberships and affiliations in arXiv, Association of Research Libraries, SPARC, Center for Research Libraries, SUNY Connect, DuraSpace (as a SUNY member), the Council on Library and Information Resources, Digital Library Federation, Coalition of Networked Information, EDUCAUSE, Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, Roper Center, OCLC Research Library Partnership, and ORCID through the National Libraries of Medicine. The Libraries utilize Ex Libris’ Aleph for its integrated library system and have recently deployed EBSCO’s Discovery Service, DSpace, Content DM, and Omeka, which are used for managing digital assets and a growing Institutional Repository.
Stony Brook University Libraries seeks a creative and user-oriented colleague for the position of Web Services and Data Librarian. Under direction of the Associate Dean for Library Technology, Discovery and Digital Services, and as a member of the Library Information Technology team, the Web Services and Data Librarian will be responsible for the coordination, planning, development, maintenance, and evaluation of the Library’s web presence; and providing leadership in the planning, implementation, and assessment of data curation services. This is a tenure track position and the incumbent is expected to participate in research, publication, teaching, and service consonant with the University standards for promotion and tenure. As a faculty librarian, the incumbent takes an active role in liaison, reference, and instruction duties.
Lead the design and development of the University Libraries’ web presence, including coordinating workflows, set guidelines and ensure that the libraries’ web presence is accurate, up-to-date, user-centered, and accessible.
- Manage interface customizations and the integration of commercial and open source library applications into the Libraries’ virtual spaces, with an emphasis on usability and user responsiveness.
- Assist with creating and administering library intranet and other web resources intended for staff use; collaborate with library faculty and staff to develop and deliver research and reference focused material for the web, improve user interfaces, test new delivery platforms, and assist with technical issues.
- Explore, recommend and adopt standard and emerging tools, techniques, methods and applications to deliver a robust and reliable online experience for all library users.
- Manage web content management systems, such as WordPress. Works collaboratively with Library IT and other library departments to implement, develop and maintain web applications, inter-connectivity, search functionality, and branding of the library website, catalog, serials portal, link resolver, discovery service, institutional repository and local databases.
- Participate in processes for usability testing, analytics analysis, and assessments of the libraries’ virtual spaces.
- As a member of the Scholarly Communication Team, serve as a point person for data curation efforts.
- Participate in the design and implementation of policies, workflows, and technical processes for managing the life cycle of research data.
- Provide guidance and instruction on discovery, acquisition, and use of research data in the public domain.
- Participate in liaison, reference, and outreach efforts to the University.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Those interested in this position should submit a State Employment Application , cover letter and resume/CV by clicking Apply. Alternately, you may submit your application package to the departmental email, address or fax below. Please also fill out an online Applicant Information Survey . Do not submit this survey to the department. Priority will be given to applications submitted prior to 2/17/19, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
University Libraries Personnel
Melville Library, Room S1430B
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3300
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Official Job Title: Senior Assistant Librarian
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus
Department: University Libraries
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posting Start Date: 01/17/2019
Posting End Date: 02/17/2019
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 02/17/2019, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: Faculty and Librarian Posting Date: 01/17/2019