About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany’s broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State’s capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany Libraries seek applications for an energetic, flexible, and innovative User Experience Librarian. This position will report to the Head of the Reference and Research Services Department.
- Collaborates with and leads the Website Development Team in maintaining a functional, attractive and usable website and mobile website
- Conducts website accessibility audits and tracks website usage
- Plans and coordinates usability assessment for digital and physical library resources and spaces
- Serves on the Online Public Interface Committee and collaborates with colleagues to enhance the interfaces of all the University Libraries’ discovery products and systems
- Stays abreast of trends related to user-centered design and works collaboratively with colleagues to implement projects and programs designed to improve users’ experience of the University Libraries
- Participates in initiatives of the Reference and Research Services Department
- Provides general reference service during assigned hours at the reference desk in the University Library (may include evenings and weekends) to students, faculty, staff and community users, in person, by phone, via chat, and through the Personalized Assistance with Searching (PAWS) consultation service
- Research, publication, and service to the Libraries, University and profession are expected to satisfy criteria for continuing appointment (tenure) and promotion.
- Master’s degree in librarianship from an ALA-accredited program or foreign equivalent, from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Knowledge of best practices in web design and current web design tools
- Knowledge of usability studies and designing patron-centered spaces within a library setting
- Familiarity with tools and technologies relevant to evaluation, measurement, and assessment of library services
- Experience providing reference services in person or virtually
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Project management experience
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Assistant Librarian or Senior Assistant Librarian; rank will be determined by the successful candidate’s qualifications
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University’s crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University’s current campus security policies. The University at Albany’s Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=92430
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter addressing the job qualifications
- Names of three professional references with contact information (include street address, telephone number, e-mail address)
Finalists will be asked to submit official transcripts and to present on a specific topic to all library personnel.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants – Login to your UAlbany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: January 19, 2018