Description of Position:
The Technical Services/Systems Librarian is responsible for oversight of all technical services activities, including acquisitions, cataloging, serials and associated Aleph Library Management System applications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages all aspects of the Technical Services Department (TS).
• Online Cataloging and processing of all library materials including serials and electronic materials.
• Plans and implements new software programs and services necessary for the efficient operation of the TS Department.
• Thorough understanding of cataloging processes and software applications specifically OCLC, AACR2, LC Subject headings, and the Marc Format.
• Awareness and understanding of metadata and archival cataloging standards.
• Thorough understanding of the Aleph LMS and its component cataloging and collection management applications.
• Responsible for departmental oversight of all collection management and library ordering activities including selection of appropriate materials, processing of materials, bindery, vendor contact and negotiation and budgetary oversight.
• Responsible for serial control systems including e-materials.
• Supervises, evaluates and trains all library staff assigned to the TS Department.
• Collaborates with Librarian Team to implement new systems and technologies leading to improved library services within all departments.
• Takes a lead role in coordinating collection development activities with the Librarian Team.
• Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with departmental faculty to seek their professional expertise and participation in collection development.
• Responsible for oversight of inventory and collection weeding activities.
• Participate as member of library instruction team.
• Participates in Information Commons Service Desk rotation, including weekend and evening hours.
• Collaborates with Librarian Team in all Aleph Library Management Software implementation projects.
• Participates in library assessment activities, taking a lead role in collection management assessments.
• Prepares and justifies departmental planning and budget reports in accordance with the College planning priorities.
• Consults with the Director of Library Services on a regular basis on issues relating to departmental services and needs.
• Responsible for individual development as a professional librarian by continual reading and awareness of the literature of librarianship and developments within the library world by attendance at conferences, institutes, seminars, etc.
• Expected as a member of the College Community to contribute service as required through committee work and departmental assignments. As a member of the full-time faculty is expected to attend all meetings, convocations and commencement exercises planned for the year.
• All other related duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
• Experience at the college level or public library setting.
• Demonstrable cataloging, reference and supervisory skills.
• Experience teaching library instruction classes.
• Familiarity with an integrated library management system.
• Ability to effectively establish and maintain working relationship with supervising personnel, co-workers, all college employees and the public.
• Ability to manage multiple projects.
• Must be able to travel between the college’s two campuses and other sites.
• Bilingual Skills.
To apply for this position visit: http://occc.interviewexchange.