About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library of SUNY Maritime College announces the position of Ship’s Librarian aboard the Training Ship Empire State VI during the 2014 Summer Sea Term. The Ship’s Librarian serves as the sole information professional and head of the library aboard the ship. The Library aboard the Empire State VI serves as the repository of information aboard the ship. It contains a collection over 3,000 titles, computer terminals with access to academic electronic resources.
• Provide reference service including reader advisory and other information queries from cadets, crew, and officers
• Manage the library collection including circulation and cataloging
• Remain in constant communication with the Library ashore
• Maintain and report daily statistics to the library ashore at SUNY Maritime College
• Provide regular communication and blog updates to be disseminated to the college community
• Create port guides to be disseminated to crew and students
• Supervise cadet library assistants
• Manage the showing of nightly films to the ship community
• ALA-accredited MLS degree
• Two years professional experience as a librarian
• Must be self-motivated and highly disciplined
• Must have a current U.S. passport and be eligible to obtain proper Merchant Marine documentation
Incumbent will be required to pay out of pocket expenses for obtaining necessary government paperwork and clearance for position.
Compensation: The selected librarian will receive a competitive one-time stipend. Housing and all meals are included while aboard the Empire State VI Training Ship.
Special Notes: The librarian works on a full-time basis as the solo librarian aboard the Empire State Training Cruise. The FULL Cruise appointment will begin May 2014 and end August 2014. However, you may apply and be considered for 1.) Cruise A (anticipated May 1, 2014 – June 26, 2014), 2.) Cruise B (anticipated June 23, 2014 – August 13, 2014) or full cruise (May 1, 2014 to August 13, 2014). The ship will be leaving from Fort Schuyler (Bronx, NY) and visiting several ports (domestic and foreign).
This is a temporary appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Descriptive Title: Ship’s Librarian
Budget Title: Technical Specialist CSL
Salary Grade: NSSL
Line Item#: 00384
Persons interested in the above position should indicate which cruise period [Cruise A, Cruise B, or Full Cruise] option they prefer.
Applicants should apply through http://maritime.
When applying online, please submit:
-Cover letter including three professional references as well as cruise option [Cruise A, Cruise B, or Full Cruise]
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.