The St. Johna��s University Libraries seeks an enthusiastic individual to act as its Student Success Librarian.A� Reporting to the Dean of Libraries and informed by the Universitya��s strategic priorities for student success and its mission, the Student Success Librarian will collaborate with stakeholders across the university to create a supportive learning environment with particular emphasis on first and second year students. At the heart of this new position is a chance to harness evidence from a growing body of retention and library research that suggests that academic libraries have a positive impact on student outcomes. The Student Success Librarian will focus on developing research-based approaches to measuring and quantifying these variables nd leveraging the findings to develop and replicate library initiatives in support of the Universitya��s retention and persistence efforts. The Student Success Librarian will collaborate with the Office of Institutional Research to gather and analyze relevant student data and metrics in support of this goal. The successful candidate will also serve as the Librariesa�� liaison to such departments as the University Freshman Center, the Institute for Core Studies, the Writing Center, the University Learning Commons, Student Life, Online Learning, and the Honors Program to explore innovative ways to support student success. The successful candidate will work with outreach, instructional and reference librarians to explore the ways in which current information literacy and teaching practices align with the Universitya��s strategic priority related to High Impact Practices (HIPs).A�Additionally, the Student Success Librarian will provide online and in-person research assistance and instruction to patrons as needed. The successful candidate must be interested in engaging with and supporting students, as well as actively contributing to the advancement of student success initiatives at St. Johna��s University.
The St. John’s University Libraries is committed to teaching and learning and provides content-based information resources, instructional services, and other support in the most effective formats for University programs as well as student and faculty research. The Libraries provide the foundation for the University’s mission of academic excellence and lifelong learning. St. John’s University is one of America ‘s leading metropolitan Catholic universities a�� recognized for itsA�superb academic programs,A�diverse community, and New York vitality. FoundedA�in 1870 by the Vincentian Community, St. John’s has distinguished itself by givingA�studentsA�the knowledge, skills and confidenceA�to serve others while achieving lasting success a�� personally, professionally and spiritually. Our students can study at any of our three NYC locations (Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan), and also at our international campuses in Rome and Paris with other study abroad locations around the world.
- Develop and implement a research framework to evaluate the impact of the Librariesa�� research-assistance, instructional efforts, and other initiatives on student success outcomes over the course of studentsa�� academic careers, in particular on retention and persistence.
- Leverage research findings to develop library initiatives in support of the Universitya��s retention and persistence efforts.
- Collaborate with instructional and reference librarians to explore the ways in which current information literacy, teaching, and research support practices align with the Universitya��s strategic priority related to High Impact Practices (HIPs).
- Serve as a liaison to campus departments and programs working to enhance academic success and college adjustment with a focus on the student groups indicated in the position description.
- Provide research assistance, reference, and instruction.
- Serve on University and Library committees.
- Act as liaison to academic departments relevant to subject background and expertise.
- Supervise staff and students as needed.
- Provide collection development within subject areas.
- Other duties and responsibilities, as necessary.
- ALA accredited MLS, or its equivalent.
- At least four years of professional experience that includes public services and instruction in academic libraries
- Demonstrated knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Demonstrated quantitative data analysis skills, with a focus on metrics related to student retention.
- Experience with SPSS, JMP/SAS or other statistical software packages.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness and creativity.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with others as a team within a diverse and complex
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present and share ideas
clearly and effectively to a diverse audience.
- Knowledge of trends and developments in academic libraries, particularly the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy
- Demonstrated time management and project completion skills.
- Ability to meet requirements for reappointment, promotion and tenure
- Second mastera��s degree is highly desirable and is required for appointment at the Associate
- Experience developing and employing a student-centered pedagogy
- Background in designing and implementing tools to assess student learning
- Experience in outreach and marketing to students and faculty
- Academic publication or other demonstrated scholarship
- Experience as a library liaison to academic and/or campus departments and units
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and all modes of reference, research assistance, information literacy instruction, outreach, and collection development
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service.
Applicants for this tenure track position must meet the required qualifications to be appointed as Assistant Professor. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2017.A� Please submit your letter of application along with three references by April 10, 2017 to receive full consideration. Applications should be submitted through the portal at https://stjohnsedu.silkroad.com/epostings/?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=218219&version=1&source=listserv. Applications after this date will be considered on a case by case basis.
St. Johna��s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities.
I understand that any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. Johna��s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.