Ship’s Librarian for the Summer Sea Term 2018
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library of SUNY Maritime College announces the position of Ship’s Librarian aboard the Training Ship EMPIRE STATE VI during the 2018 Summer Sea Term. The Ship’s Librarian serves as the sole information professional and head of the library aboard the ship. The ship’s library serves as the repository of information aboard the ship. It contains a collection over 3,000 titles and computer terminals with access to academic electronic resources.
The ship’s librarian is expected to:
• Provide reference service including reader’s advisory and other information queries from cadets, crew, and officers
• Manage the library collection including circulation and cataloging
• Remain in constant communication with the library ashore
• Maintain and report daily statistics to the library ashore
• Provide regular communication and blog updates to be disseminated to the college community
• Create port guides to be disseminated to crew and students
• Supervise cadet library assistants
• Manage the showing of nightly films to the ship community
*The Library and Regiment Department will be available to offer guidance as the successful candidate will be required to supply the following documents at the date of appointment*
• 2 years of professional experience in libraries or related experience
• US Passport
• Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)
• Valid Medical Certificate – Note: The Medical Certificate is issued with the original MMC; however it must be renewed every 2-years.
• DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing Documentation
1. Letter from employer indicating that you have been in a random testing program meeting the criteria of 46 CFR 16.230 for at least 60 days (from May 1, 2018) during the previous 185 days, and have not failed nor refused to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.
2. Passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs, required under Title 46 CFR 16.210 within the previous 185 days (from May 1, 2018)
*A COPY OF ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MUST BE PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT. IF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION IS NOT PROVIDED BY THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT YOUR APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. ALL DATES FOR US PASSPORT, TWIC, MMC AND MEDICAL CERTIFICATE MUST BE VALID FOR THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR ANTICIPATED APPOINTMENT.*
• Master’s degree in Library Science
Incumbent will be required to pay out of pocket expenses for obtaining necessary government paperwork and clearance for position
Compensation: Salary based on a daily rate of pay. Housing and all meals are included while aboard the EMPIRE STATE VI Training Ship.
Special Notes: The librarian works on a full-time basis as the solo librarian aboard the EMPIRE STATE Training Ship. The FULL Cruise appointment will begin May 1, 2018 and end August 11, 2018. However, you may apply and be considered for the following:
• Cruise A (anticipated May 1, 2018 – June 22, 2018)
• Cruise B (anticipated June 22, 2018 – August 11, 2018)
• Full cruise (anticipated May 1, 2018 – August 11, 2018)
This is a temporary appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Technical Specialist (CSL)
Salary Grade: NSSL
For those desiring additional information please contact:
Ms. Joann Sprague, Office Manager
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see:http://www.sunymaritime.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350.
It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu
Persons interested in the above position should indicate which cruise period [Cruise A, Cruise B, or Full Cruise] option they prefer.
When applying online, please submit the following:
• Cover letter including cruise option (Cruise A, Cruise B or Full Cruise)
• Three recent references
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/