Ship’s Librarian, 2013 Summer Sea Term: SUNY Maritime College
The Stephen B. Luce Library of SUNY Maritime College announces the position of Ship’s Librarian aboard the Training Ship Empire State VI during the 2013 Summer Sea Term. The Ship’s Librarian serves as the sole information professional and head of the library aboard the ship. The librarian works on a full-time basis as the solo librarian during the second half of the training cruise, approximately from June 25 to August 9. The ship will be leaving from Fort Schuyler (Bronx, NY) and visiting several European ports.
- Provide reference service including reader advisory and other information queries from cadets, crew, and officers
- Manage the library collection including circulation and cataloging
- Remain in constant communication with the Library ashore
- Maintain and report daily statistics to the library ashore at SUNY Maritime College
- Provide regular communication and blog updates to be disseminated to the college community
- Create port guides to be disseminated to crew and students
- Supervise cadet library assistants
- Manage the showing of nightly films to the ship community
Master of Library Science degree from an accredited institution. Minimum two years of professional experience as a librarian. Qualified individuals must be self-motivated and highly disciplined. Must have a current U.S. passport and be eligible to obtain proper Merchant Marine documentation.
About the Library:
The library aboard the Empire State VI serves as the repository of information aboard the ship. It contains a collection over 4,000 titles and computer terminals with access to academic electronic resources. .
The selected librarian will receive a competitive one-time stipend. Housing and all meals are included while aboard the Empire State VI.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send a letter of interest, resume, and the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of three references via email to:
Ship’s Librarian Search Committee
SUNY Maritime College
The SUNY Maritime College is a four-year college of the State University of New York. It provides an outstanding education in the areas of Engineering, Naval Architecture, Marine Transportation/Business Administration, Marine Environmental Science, and Humanities.