About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library of SUNY Maritime College invites applicants for the position of Cataloging and Metadata Librarian.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian is responsible for cataloging in all formats and selection, creation and application of appropriate metadata for bibliographic and digital records. This is a Senior Assistant Librarian tenure track position.
• Manage and process electronic and print cataloging records using the Ex-Libris Library System
• Ensures quality of bibliographic and digital databases through compliance with national and local standards such as MARC, AACR2, RDA, LCSH, LCCS, OCLC, NLM and LC cataloging practices and other appropriate cataloging and metadata standards
• Performs original and complex copy cataloging for all formats. Participates with members of the library staff in the development of standards, policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely maintenance of catalog and digital records
• Participates in library digital projects, keeps abreast of developments in electronic publishing, networking and indexing to design methods for including off-site access to electronic documents in library’s OPAC, including images, full text, etc.
• Provides leadership in the area of metadata and documents management within the library environment
. Serves as the coordinator for the Federal Depository Library Program
• As part of the library faculty team, participates in library education programs (information literacy, reference and information desk, liaison to academic departments, creating electronic instructional content)
• As a member of the faculty, serves on various campus-wide committees, SUNY-wide committees and the college governance
• As a library faculty, makes scholarly contributions to the profession
• Other tasks as assigned as it relates to abilities and experience
• ALA-accredited MLS degree
• Two years cataloging/metadata experience
• Knowledge of MARC, AACR2, RDA, LCSH, LCCS, UMLS, XML, Dublin Core and other cataloging and metadata standards highly desirable
• Familiarity with bibliographic technology, database design and digital repository requirements
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Able to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Ability to successfully lead, train and interact with employees and graduate library interns
• Advanced degree in another academic discipline
• Experience in an academic library setting
• Working familiarity with the Ex-Libris integrated library system
• Knowledge of emerging library technologies
Classification/Salary Range: The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian is a United University Professions position. Review of application will commence immediately however the appointment will begin on or around July 8, 2013. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special Notes: This is a full time calendar year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Internal and external posting to occur simultaneously
Budget Title: Senior Assistant Librarian
Line Item#: 00403
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
– Cover letter and
– Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.