The Sojourner Truth Library at the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz invites applications for a tenure track librarian position, to be hired at Assistant or Senior Assistant rank. The candidate will join the Research and Education Team, a collaborative group of librarians who work creatively with the campus community across disciplines, in co-curricular experiences, and within the general education curriculum. Working within this team, the candidate will provide reference, instruction and academic department liaison services to students and faculty at SUNY New Paltz.
These services include, but are not limited to:
- provision of information literacy instruction to classes and groupsI?
- provision of general public reference assistance at the Information Desk, virtual reference service, and during
individual research consultationsI?
- creation of instructional materials utilizing current technologiesI?
- participation in collection development and faculty liaison/student mentoring services.
As part of an ability to meet tenure-track requirements, the candidate will serve on departmental and campus committees, make scholarly contributions to the field, and pursue ongoing professional growth. The librarian will have faculty rank of Assistant Librarian or Senior Assistant Librarian, in a tenure-track faculty position subject to criteria for reappointment, promotion, and continuing appointment as established by the SUNY Board of Trustees.
Occasional weekend reference shifts and one weekly evening reference shift are required as assigned. Collaborate and/or take initiative in areas of special interest as needed.
- An ALA accredited mastera��s degree in library/information science.
- The successful candidate for the Assistant rank will have entry-level experience in reference, library instruction and/or teaching, and potential for professional development.
- The successful candidate for the Senior Assistant rank will have at least two years of relevant post-MLS professional library experience and be able to demonstrate strong performance of core librarian responsibilities along with the potential for continued professional growth and the ability to contribute to the profession through activities that include special projects, grant activity, presentations or publications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a strong service orientation
- Creativity, flexibility and the ability to work cooperatively in a team based, user-centered environment is critically important
- We value the diversity of our students, faculty, and staff and are especially interested in considering applicants with a strong commitment to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere
- A background and/or interest in science and applied sciences
- Academic library experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Electronic submission required. To apply, please visit https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/
Applicants will be required to submit a letter of application, CV, and contact information for three references. Please include your salary requirements in your letter of application. Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Applications accepted until position is filled; priority given to applications received by 7/27/17.
Other important information about this vacancy
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (a�?Clery Reporta�?) at http://www.newpaltz.edu/