Temporary, Part-Time Reference/Instruction Librarian — Bronx
Manhattan College seeks an enthusiastic, service-oriented Reference/Instruction Librarian. The incumbent will join a team of librarians who design and deliver reference services and information literacy instruction to faculty, students, staff, and other patrons. Applicants must be able to handle multiple simultaneous requests and to coordinate referrals to other service units, as appropriate. Related duties may be assigned.
This is a part-time position (15–20 hours per week) that will last through May 2016 or for several months, as negotiated. The pay rate is $26 per hour, negotiable.
• Provide reference and information services in-person, by e-mail, and by phone during assigned hours.
• Instruct students in the use of the library website, vendors’ databases, online search tools, and print and online collections.
• Guide students in their research assignments; help them create and interpret bibliographic citations.
• Refer patrons to other librarians or staff, as necessary.
• Document reference transactions.
• Administer the JOLT information literacy exam; coach students preparing to take the exam.
• Teach Information Literacy sessions, as needed. We do not anticipate that this position will be heavily involved in formal library instruction, however.
• Perform other duties, as necessary.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree or substantial progress toward that degree, including at least one course in reference resources/services.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including English language fluency.
• Experience providing library services. Reference experience and academic library experience are strongly preferred.
• Ability to work independently and responsibly with minimal supervision.
• Knowledge of current professional trends related to reference and instruction.
• Availability for 15–20 hours per week, scheduled on a bi-weekly basis. Willingness to work weekend and/or evening hours is preferred.
To apply for this position, e-mail your resume/c.v. and a cover letter that addresses the position requirements to email@example.com. References may be requested later in the screening process. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Manhattan College is an independent Catholic coeducational institution in the Lasallian tradition. We welcome applications from women, members of minority groups and those attracted to a college with a Catholic identity. An AA/EO Employer M/F/D/V.