Brooklyn Historical Society’s Othmer Library and Archives in Brooklyn, NY seeks an energetic, user-oriented candidate to serve as a part-time Reference Librarian reporting to the Head of Reference and User Services.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, highly organized, and has an eye for improving efficiencies. He or she communicates clearly and effectively with a wide range of users (from internal museum staff to advanced scholars to local genealogists) and prioritizes user experience and satisfaction.
The Reference Librarian will provide high-quality reference services to library users and museum visitors in the library reading room as well as via email, telephone, and post. The Reference Librarian will also support a robust and innovative library instruction program. He or she will facilitate day-to-day operations of the reading room, will collect and help analyze assessment data, and will promote the library through outreach efforts. The Reference Librarian will also contribute to a range of public services projects (such as improving wayfinding or enhancing discovery tools).
• Masters of Library and Information Science or equivalent degree, or significant coursework towards the completion of an MLIS.
• Demonstrated experience providing reference services in a research library (ideally, in an archives and special collections setting).
• Demonstrated experience providing instruction, training, and/or public presentations in an applicable setting.
• Demonstrated experience properly caring for and handling rare materials.
• Ability to lift, bend, and reach boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs.
• Experience promoting library collections and services through effective outreach initiatives.
• Experience or knowledge of user experience assessment and improvement.
• Familiarity with ILS systems and Archivists’ Toolkit and with the use and application of standardized vocabularies.
• Previous archival processing and description experience, and an understanding of pragmatic and efficient processing procedures.
Compensation and Schedule
Compensation is $20/ hour. Required work schedule is 9:30 am – 5:30 pm, Wednesday – Saturday (28 hours per week). The position will begin as early as December 15, 2015 through June 30, 2015, with possibility of extension.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read: [last name] – PT Reference Librarian
Brooklyn Historical Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
Brooklyn Historical Society is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, the presence of any mental, physical, or sensory disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal or state law.