Posting Title: Reference and Outreach Librarian (Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor)
Job Opening ID: 10547
Reporting to the Chief Librarian, the Outreach Librarian leads the library’s effort in reaching and serving its diverse user populations with particular attention to students who are underutilizing library resources. The Outreach Librarian publicizes and promotes the library as the research center of the campus through programming, instruction, exhibition, marketing, publications, and orientations. He or she will work collaboratively with library faculty and staff to develop, provide, and evaluate information, technology, research, and instruction geared towards faculty, off-site and e-learning students, including those at Fiterman Hall, BMCC’s second building. The position is service oriented requiring excellent social, communication and collaboration skills.
Librarians at Borough of Manhattan Community College are expected to take active roles in the college, serving on department and college committees and engaging in scholarly research and publication. Continuous up-dating of knowledge and skills is required.
Specifically the Outreach Librarian is required to:
– Plan, implement, and assess marketing, programs, exhibition, and events to represent the Library’s public face.
– Provide reference and instruction services, one-on-one research assistance, and virtual reference services as scheduled. Perform specialized database searching and online service consultation.
– Participate in the embedded and roving librarianship programs.
– Select and assess collections and resources in designated subjects; participate as a departmental liaison to academic departments to support the teaching, learning, and research needs of the college.
– Keep abreast of relevant research for current trends and best practices in librarianship, information technology, social media, and scholarly communication.
– Work on additional projects or committees as assigned.
All titles require a Master’s in Library Science (MLS), Master’s in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
For appointment as Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor, a second graduate degree is required.
– Minimum two years’ experience in library service
– Ability to work with others for the good of the institution
– Demonstrated knowledge and experience with lesson building software (Captive, Jing, Camtasia, etc.), course management systems (Blackboard), graphic design, and other web-applicable instructional tools
– Excellent oral and written communication skills
– Demonstrated ability to make presentations before groups and conduct effective training
– Outreach experience in an academic library
– Expertise in desktop publishing, pedagogical methods, and outcomes assessment
– Expertise in the identification and implementation of emerging technologies that further the Library’s mission
– Experience in providing information literacy instruction
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent fringe benefits. This is a full-time, tenure-track, faculty position, 35-hours, 5-day work week. Scheduled hours may include evenings and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Access CUNYfirst portal. http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html
To avoid any problems when submitting your CV/resume and cover letter, we ask that you access this site through Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
CLOSING DATE: 6/22/14
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.