Reference and Instruction Librarian (Instructor, Assistant Professor, or Associate Professor)
Job ID: 18304
Location: City College of New York
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The City College Libraries invites applications for a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position at the Instructor, Assistant Professor, or Associate Professor rank to serve as Reference and Instruction Librarian. Reporting to the Chief of Reference, the successful candidate will work with the Information Literacy Librarian and colleagues to develop and offer reference and library instruction. The Reference Librarian will also be responsible for designated areas of collection development. All members of the library faculty must maintain a record of excellence in publishing, teaching, and service. The position begins August 27th, 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide virtual and in-person general reference services, including individual consultations, for the college community. Some evening and weekend reference desk service is required.
• Establish and maintain relationships with assigned academic departments and programs by serving as their subject specialist, collection development librarian, library instructor
• Offer instruction to students and faculty to create timely, targeted, and curriculum-integrated library instruction, support and discipline-specific presentations for programs, courses, or assignments.
• Create instructional material (research guides, etc.) as appropriate.
• Represent the City College Libraries in library, college, and university venues
• Contribute to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
• Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited-institution
• Two or more years of professional experience as a reference librarian in a college or university library
• A second master’s degree OR doctorate is also required for appointment as Assistant or Associate Professor; if appointed as Instructor, the candidate will be expected to complete an additional graduate degree within 5 years (CUNY tuition remission is available)
• Experience providing reference and instruction within a diverse community
• An interest in scholarship or creative achievement appropriate for a tenure-track position
• Knowledge of best practices in information and educational technologies
• Strong oral and written communication skills, and strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities, a commitment to collaboration and mutual respect, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and committees in our multicultural library and college/university community
• Familiarity with software applications and systems used in academic libraries
• Relevant discipline-specific experience in an academic or research library in a research intensive environment, especially social science and humanities
• Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication, including open access publishing and open educational resources
• A record of professional, scholarly research activity
• Familiarity with assessment practices in libraries in higher education
• Familiarity with best practices in instructional design
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on “Apply Now” on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
– Go to www.cuny.edu and click on “Employment”
– Click “Search job listings”
– Click on “More search options”
– Search by Job Opening ID number
– Click on the “Apply Now” button and follow the instructions.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
March 25, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.