Position: A03085 Date: August 18, 2015
ADMINISTRATIVE POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Reference and Assessment Librarian
DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Walsh Library, Rose Hill
Under the direction of the Head of Reference, this librarian provides critical support to the research and learning community of Fordham
University on weekday evenings and Sundays.
• Provides in person telephone, email, text, and chat research support
• Creates and delivers library instruction sessions; plans, develops and implements library-wide assessment programs and strategies
• Coordinates the gathering of library-wide statistics, such as ACRL and IPEDS and maximizes the value of statistics gathered
• Works closely with library departments to support the gathering and reporting of appropriate statistics
• Investigates and communicates new methods for data collection, analysis and documentation
• Acts as a primary administrative contact to visitors, faculty, students, and staff during hours when many other university departments and librarians are not available
• Assists in library collection development initiatives
• Assists in the creation and maintenance of web based content management tools
• Provides outreach to academic departments and programs
• Collaborates with individuals throughout the university to promote and facilitate the use of library resources and services
• Supervises the library support staff and student assistants
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school
• Minimum of two years of professional experience in an academic library.
• Experience providing Reference and Instruction services in person, via telephone, via text and chat services, and via email
• Current knowledge of assessment issues and trends for academic libraries
• Proficiency with statistical software applications, such as Excel
• Broad familiarity with reference literature in a wide variety of disciplines including major print and electronic sources and databases
• Familiar with the major metro New York library consortia and research collections; experience searching WorldCat as a referral tool
• Experience creating and maintaining web based content management tools such as LibGuides
• Comfortable developing content for web pages
• Comfortable evaluating the usability and functionality of library sources
• Experience contributing to collection development and collection review initiatives
• Familiar with Government Documents
• Experience assisting all levels of researchers including undergraduate, graduate, faculty, alumni, and freelancers
• Experience collaborating with students, staff, and faculty across all functions and multiple campuses of a diverse university community
• Experience providing outreach to designated disciplines and programs
• Familiar with online research repositories, digital collections, and open access archival materials.
• Ability to work effectively in a rapidly changing environment
• Ability to learn new technologies with ease, and to teach technological and research skills to a diverse community
• Ability to initiate and maintain long term library projects and programs with limited supervision
• Comfortable training and supervising student assistants and support staff.
HOURS: Sunday through Thursday, 1:00 pm to 9:00pm
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible
SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME: Jane Suda, Head of Reference and Information Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Fordham University is committed to excellence through diversity and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds.
Fordham is an Equal Opportunity Employer.