Announcement is hereby made for a full-time, tenure track, 10-month appointment at instructor or assistant professor rank, beginning the Spring 2018 semester on the Eastern Campus in Riverhead. Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
The Reader Services Librarian is responsible for planning, promoting and teaching information literacy, providing reference services, and developing library print and electronic resources and services. This full-time position will be regularly scheduled from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
General responsibilities include:
- Teaching students critical thinking skills in finding, using and evaluating library information resources.
- Providing in-person and online reference services to students and faculty.
- Working with discipline faculty to infuse information literacy across the curriculum.
- Designing innovative multimedia and web-based instructional materials which could include using Camtasia, Articulate Storyline, LibGuides, etc.
- Collaborating on projects to assess information literacy initiatives, library services and/or resources.
- Assisting with library makerspace outreach and events.
- Collection development and liaison outreach in assigned subject areas.
The College seeks faculty who value the opportunity to form mentoring relationships with our students. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ongoing commitment to excellence in teaching and to professional development. They will also demonstrate openness to pedagogical innovation, including, but not limited to, the integration of technology and distance education into the curriculum.
Duties will include:
- Teaches assigned courses in accordance with description published in the College catalog and the approved course outline.
- Engages in assessment of college-wide learning outcomes and demonstrates the use of the results of these assessments in courses.
- Active participation in departmental, campus and College committees/meetings.
- Grant writing and integration of technology into teaching is preferred.
- Academic advisement and curriculum development is required.
An ALA accredited Mastera��s degree in library science is required. A second Mastera��s degree in a subject field or pursuit of a unified program of study beyond the MLS is preferred. Professional-level, academic library experience is preferred. Excellent communication skills (oral, written, and teaching); organizational skills; a collaborative and creative working style, and a commitment to information literacy within a student-centered academic library are essential.
For the full job posting and to apply visit: https://www3.sunysuffolk.edu/About/Employment.asp