Project Manager, Kissinger Papers / Manager 2
Manuscripts and Archives
Yale University Library
New Haven, CT
Rank:A� Grade 24
Fixed Duration:A�A�A�A�A�A�A�A�A�A�A� One (1) year from date of hire
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut.A� Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and supports the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including around 12.8 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaging in numerous projects to expand access to its physical and digital collections. Housed in eighteen buildings including the Sterling Memorial Library, the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, and the Bass Library, it employs a dynamic and diverse staff of approximately five hundred who offer innovative and flexible services to library readers.A� For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library’s web site at www.library.yale.edu.
Manuscripts and Archives, Sterling Memorial Library
Manuscripts and Archives is a major center for historical inquiry and also serves as the documentary memory of Yale University.A� For more information about the department, please consult the website:A� http://www.library.yale.edu/
Under the supervision of the Senior Archivist for American Diplomacy, the Project Manager manages and coordinates various aspects of the Kissinger Papers Project, including:A� hiring, supervising, and training C&T staff and student assistants; tracking the completion of project work; maintaining project documentation; producing project metrics and piloting project workflows.A� Responsible for the use of space, supplies, facilities and other departmental administrative procedures with project and department staff; setting daily and long-term work priorities for staff;A� defining/implementing workflows and identifying/implementing efficiencies and improvements;A� resolving problems and establishing problem resolution workflows and strategies; contributing to long-range planning and development of policies and procedures and in the development of new reports; and managing communication and scheduling with external project stakeholders. Works closely with the Senior Archivist and the Kissinger Project Archivist to coordinate the digitization of the collection, including managing a digitization pilot and serving as liaison with the digitization vendor.
- Supervises the departmenta��s project management staff; contributes to the implementation of comprehensive cross functional project plans and business solutions.
- Creates standardized project planning tools such as timelines, budgets, and resources.
- Communicates project related issues to senior management and stakeholders; provides reports and analyses to senior management.
- Ensures compliance with Federal, State, and University requirements.
- Contributes in long-range planning and development of policies and procedures and in the development of new reports.
- Monitors market trends and emerging relevant technologies and methodologies.
- Collaborates in the development of appropriate strategies for implementing information across a broad range of programs and initiatives.
- Manages all aspects of an operation with multiple services and processes.
- Responsible for programmatic initiatives and associated strategic planning and implementation of processes.
- Administers budget, sets strategic plan, and determines associated costs.
- Guides and directs less senior staff and resolve problems as they arise.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and four (4) years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Supervisory experience in a collaborative, team environment.
- Project management experience and excellent organizational skills.A�A� Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving skills.A� Excellent oral and written communication skills.A� Demonstrated ability to analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data using technology.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and manage shifting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- College-level coursework in American history.
- Formal training in project management.
- Work experience in an academic archival, library, or museum setting.
- Experience supervising in a unionized environment.
- Experience supervising digitization projects.
Ability to lift 30 lb. boxes and push heavy book trucks on a frequent basis.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration – the STARS req ID for this position is 20160BR.A� Please be sure to reference #20160BR in your cover letter.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check.A� Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.A� Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications fromA�women and members of underrepresented minority groups.