The Outreach and Promotion Librarian will be responsible for coordinating outreach and marketing efforts, developing scholarly library events, and organizing and managing projects, activities, and initiatives designed to promote the services, resources, and collections of Adelphi University Libraries. The Outreach and Promoting Librarian also has an active role in the Adelphi University Libraries’ reference services and instruction program, providing research assistance to patrons and serving as liaison to campus academic programs, assuming teaching, outreach and collection development responsibilities. This position reports to the Dean of Libraries.
Outreach and Promotion Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and manage a comprehensive outreach program focused on increasing awareness and understanding of the AU Libraries.
- Supervise the outreach and promotion activities of student workers.
- Chair the Library Marketing Committee, and lead library marketing strategy to effectively promote library programs, services, and collections.
- Develop innovative library programming to enhance student and faculty engagement with the library.
- Assess reach and effectiveness of marketing and outreach efforts.
- Build relationships across the Adelphi University community to highlight and promote the Library’s engagement with the teaching and learning mission of the university.
- Create outreach materials and assist in the creation and maintenance of instructional resources such as LibGuides and video tutorials.
- Works with Senior Instructional Technologist to stay abreast of state of the art.
- Conduct tours, represent the library at campus events, liaise with the University Office of Public Affairs, and document library activities using various media such as video.
- Guide and manage the library social media presence.
Reference Primary Responsibilities
- Provide reference services to faculty and students from across Adelphi University in-person and phone, as well as through the various digital methods employed by the library, including email, chat and text
- Provide advanced research support to students and teaching faculty through individual consultation appointments
- Engage in the teaching and instruction of students in information literacy, including creating web-based guides and tutorials
- Serve as liaison to campus academic programs, ensuring faculty and students are fully aware of the services and resources offered by the library and its faculty and assuming collection development responsibilities for these areas.
- Represent the library to other groups around campus and the region.
- Serve on University and Library committees.
- Participate in professional associations and bodies.
- participate in scholarly and professional activities including research and publishing required for reappointment, tenure and promotion.
This is a tenure-track library faculty position. Applicants must hold a master’s degree from an ALA accredited school of library/information science. A second post-baccalaureate degree or similar proof of advanced study is highly preferred and is required for promotion to the rank of Associate Professor and for tenure. Applicants must possess excellent supervisory, interpersonal and communications skills as well as the ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a collegial environment. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of ability to meet criteria for promotion and tenure.
Other desired qualifications for the position include
- Excellent writing skills and a strong visual sense.
- Experience using social media.
- Previous library experience.
- Strong familiarity with library technologies.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Familiarity with graphic design and digital publication software.
- Demonstrated capacity for event planning.
- Experience, formal training or advanced coursework in communications, digital media, or technology relevant to the position.
- Project management or event planning experience.
- Experience working with and supporting diverse populations.