Stephen B. Luce Library at SUNY Maritime College in the Throggs Neck section of the Bronx is seeking a Library Director. For details please see below. Details are also available at https://interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=54486 .
SUNY Maritime College Library Director
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Stephen B. Luce Library of SUNY Maritime College invites applicants for the position of Librarian/Library Director.
The Library Director is responsible for leading, coordinating and managing all aspects of library resources and services in support of academic programs and the scholarly and intellectual needs of students, faculty, and the Maritime College community. The Library is an academic department and the Director reports to the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The candidate will possess demonstrated leadership qualities and knowledge of the changing environment in academic libraries, especially with emerging library technologies. The Director will formulate goals, policies, and procedures with approval of the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs and administer and oversee library budgets and staff. In addition, the Library Director will represent both the library and faculty on official College committees, task forces and designated bodies, advise the Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs on library and library related matters, and represent the college on area, state, and national library and technical groups and at related meetings.
• Develops, improves, and continuously evaluates the Library’s programs and services to align with the College’s strategic plan in order to further the College’s mission and vision
• Plans and implements the Library budget. Manage resources necessary for efficient library operations in consultation with the Provost
• Builds strong relationships with other academic departments. Collaborates with faculty to assess and improve Library services and collections to meet the needs of students and faculty
• Assesses and evaluates Library programs and services in meeting the needs of the College and accreditation standards. Continues ongoing assessment of student learning outcomes for information literacy competency standards
• Works closely with Office of Development on external funding opportunities, acquisition of special and archival collections, and development of grants. Establishes and maintains a cooperative working relationship with other institutions, including institutions in the maritime industry
• Coordinates and provides library services to meet the needs of online programs
• Participates in the responsibilities to provide Reference, Library Instruction, Collection Development, Access services, and Archival services
• Supervises librarians and library staff, including recruiting, training, mentoring, evaluating, scheduling, and promoting professional development
• Serves on College and University committees and represents the Library on statewide committees
• Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs and College Administration
• Manages and maintains the Library facilities to ensure safety, accessibility, and being most inviting
• Coordinates the processing and management of archival and special collections
• Master’s degree in Library Science
• Minimum five years of experience with increasing library administrative responsibilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of library operations
• Ability to manage and direct staff is support of library functions
• Experience with assessing library services and measuring outcomes
• Ability to understand and clearly communicate policies and procedures
• Working knowledge on using technologies to provide and enhance library services, including knowledge of online research resources, integrated library management systems, and instructional technologies
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong service orientation
• Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
• Advanced degree in another academic discipline
• Experience with library operations in an academic setting
• Working familiarity with the Ex Libris integrated library system
• Knowledge of contemporary library practices, trends, and emerging library technologies
• Commitment to higher education at the undergraduate and graduate level
• Knowledge of resource sharing systems
• Understanding of nationally accepted standards and best practices for archival processing, including digital archiving
Classification/Salary Range: The Library Director is a United University Professions (UUP) position. Review of application to commence immediately however, the appointment will begin on or around February 2015. The anticipated salary range for this position is $85,000 to $95,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package. Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special Notes: This is a full-time calendar year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external posting to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Librarian
Line Item#: 00401
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
• Cover letter including salary requirements
• Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents
Apply at Human Resources here.