Librarian, Lewis Science Library
Princeton University Library
Princeton, New Jersey
Princeton University Library is one of the world’s leading research libraries. It employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, 9 specialized branches, and 3 storage facilities. Through a combination of exemplary services and world-renowned collections the Library supports a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,700 graduate students, 1,200 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Its holdings include more than 10 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. Further information: http://library.princeton.edu/
The Library seeks an accomplished and forward-thinking library professional for the position of Librarian, Lewis Science Library. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Research and Instructional Services, the successful candidate will provide vision and leadership to the staff of the Lewis Science Library and Furth Plasma Physics Library which consist of a staff of 6 librarians, 10 support staff and numerous student assistants. The Librarian will also oversee all aspects of the libraries’ activities, including the development of innovative services for Princeton’s scientific research community, reference and research consultation services, instruction programs, collections, and facilities management. The Librarian will be expected to contribute to campus-wide library projects and represent Princeton in relevant regional, national, and international organizations. Depending on the candidate’s qualifications, some science subject liaison work may be part o f this position’s responsibility.
The Peter B. Lewis Science Library provides library services and collections for students, faculty, and research staff in Astrophysics, Chemistry, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Biology, Geosciences, Mathematics, Physics, Plasma Physics and Psychology, as well as being a collaborative and welcoming space for undergraduate students in the sciences and across campus. It is also home of the Library’s Map and Geospatial Information Center. The Furth Plasma Physics Library is located at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory at Forrestal Center near main campus. Further information on the Lewis Science Library: https://library.princeton.edu/lewis
• An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science OR equivalent combination of education and professional library experience.
• Minimum 3 years professional library work in an academic or research library supporting science teaching and research.
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction in a research library.
• In-depth knowledge of research tools in the sciences.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work successfully and collegially with a diverse group of scholars and colleagues, and foster teamwork.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a science or engineering subject.
• Experience with managing a branch library or library department.
• Experience supervising professional staff in an academic setting.
• Familiarity with the Scholarly Communications process and directions.
• Ability to work effectively in a rapidly changing environment.
The successful candidate will be appointed to an appropriate Librarian rank depending upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from the Jobs at Princeton website: http://www.princeton.edu/jobs and must include a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references with full contact information. This position is subject to the University’s background check policy. Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link: https://jobs.princeton.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=226065
Librarian, Lewis Science Library