Position Focus: The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library is one of the world’s largest libraries devoted entirely to rare books and manuscripts and is Yale’s principal repository for literary archives, early manuscripts, and rare books. The Beinecke Library’s robust collections are used to create new scholarship by researchers from around the world. The Beinecke has an annual budget of $39 million received primarily from dedicated endowments. This position, reporting to the director of the Beinecke Library and the regional director for business operations, serves as the strategic administrative partner for Director of the Library and directly oversees 5 units within the Beinecke including: Finance, Security, Facilities, Public Relations and Communications, and Public Events and Programs.
Key responsibilities include strategic long-range planning, endowment and gift stewardship, budget planning and monitoring, internal controls oversight, liaison with central administration, human resources coordination, space planning, design and renovation coordination, security assessments and risk mitigation, educational and public event planning, communications planning and the administration of fellowship programs. Serves as a member of the Beinecke’s senior leadership team that is charged with developing and implementing strategic vision for the Beinecke Library.
Required Education and Experience: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and seven years progressively responsible experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, financial reporting and analysis. Demonstrated experience with complex strategic planning and resource allocation. Demonstrated experience in managing relationships and influencing outcomes Demonstrated creativity and effectiveness in a complex organization. Demonstrated success in developing people and organizations.
- High-level strategic planning skills. Visionary with ability to influence. Ability to generate a strategic vision and to influence people to achieve this vision.
- Well-developed managerial, analytic, decision-making, planning, organizational, problem-resolution and leadership skills. Ability to negotiate skillfully with both internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people on a day-to-day basis. Experience coaching, mentoring and developing staff at a variety of levels. Ability to inspire a high level of commitment and performance. Ability to anticipate changes in the business and proactively manage change.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels throughout the University.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer software to compile, analyze and present complex proposals. Solid understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience: Master’s degree in business and/or related field. Leadership and managerial experience in higher education or large cultural institutions. Experience planning and managing large and complex building/facility projects. Experience overseeing cultural facility operations including security.
Yale University assigns ranks to librarian positions based on a combination of professional experience and accomplishments (see range assigned to this description as noted in the posting position title). Librarian ranking information can be found at: http://www.library.yale.edu/about/departments/lhr/rank.html
For additional information on the Yale University Library please visit www.library.yale.edu
For additional information about the Beinecke Library, please visit http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/.
How to apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications, consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be submitted by applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs. The STARS req. ID for this position is 33585BR. Please be sure to reference 33585BR in your cover letter.
AA/EEO – M/F/Disability/Veteran