The Ursula C. Schwerin Library at New York City College of Technology, CUNY, seeks a tenure-track library faculty member at the assistant professor level to serve as Instruction Librarian. The Instruction Librarian will work with other library faculty to develop and deliver information literacy and library instruction, including collaborative efforts with faculty in all disciplines. She or he will also offer reference service, be responsible for designated areas of collection development, and provide coordination and communication for functional and subject areas including public relations and marketing, website content creation and quality assurance, and assessment. The successful candidate will have experience providing instruction and reference at an academic library within a diverse college or university community. She or he must maintain a record of excellence in librarianship, scholarly achievement, and service. The Library is committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.
– Offer classroom or other group instruction to students and faculty in information literacy. Instruction ranges from general introductions to library services and library/internet resources to discipline-specific presentations for programs, courses, or assignments. Instruction may be offered in-person or online, and may include collaboration with other faculty on subject guides and other course-specific research resources.
– Teach one or more sections of the three-credit semester-long undergraduate course LIB 1201, Research and Documentation for the Information Age. Course description and syllabus may be found at http://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/lib1201f13mw/syllabus/.
– Provide comprehensive, one-to-one reference consultation and instruction to members of the college community. To this end, develop and maintain broad knowledge of resources, regardless of format, in general reference areas as well as City Tech subject/career fields.
– Working as subject specialist in assigned areas, evaluate, select, and deselect library materials. Responsibilities include appropriate and timely expenditures under assigned budgets, website content creation and updates in areas of specialization and other web assignments, and communication and consultation with subject faculty regarding resources and services, including information literacy-related functions.
Master’s in Library Science (MLS), Master’s in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution with a second graduate degree OR doctorate required. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
– Experience providing instruction and reference in an academic library
– An interest in productive scholarship or creative achievement
– Knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in information and instructional technologies
– Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively on shared projects and department and college committees
– Strong analytical, organizational, and planning skills, and strong oral and written communication skills
– Background or degree in STEM, especially natural science or health science
– Experience with STEM or health science electronic and print information resources
– Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication
– Familiarity with assessment in libraries and higher education
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
From our job posting system, select “Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of resumes begin 9/02/14.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.