Tenure track position in a community college library.
The Information Literacy and User Services Librarian will support the college library through providing in-depth consultation with students and faculty and collaboration for the ongoing improvement of instructional programs and practices. Pursues an active scholarly agenda, performs supervisory duties, and participates in college-and university-wide programs and committees as assigned.
- Provide leadership for the Library’s role as a campus partner in student success. Expand and strengthen the Library’s teaching role and educational impact by collaborating with faculty and staff to advance and support a diverse student body in effectively identifying and using information.
- Demonstrate excellent teaching skills in a program of customized information literacy sessions for classes in all disciplines
- Develop and offer workshops, tutorials, and course-specific instruction; collaborate with faculty in course construction; develop online and classroom instruction materials; collaborate with peers in university-wide information literacy initiatives.
- Provide in-person and online reference service, including evening and weekend hours.
- Develop research-related assessment tools, implement assessment programs, and provide analysis of library services and student learning.
- Use project management skills to schedule, assess and report on a very busy instructional program
- Consult individually with students and faculty on research projects, methods, and best practices; work closely with academic department representatives providing instruction and information about library resources.
- Participate in collection development, including print and online resources; develop and maintain subject and policy guides.
- Represent the library on college and university committees
- Other duties as assigned
Tenure track faculty must meet the publication and service requirements for tenure and promotion.
Some evening and/or weekend assignments will be required.
Master’s in Library Science (MLS), Master’s in Library Information Studies (MLIS), or closely related discipline from an ALA-accredited institution, with a second graduate degree required. Also required is the ability to work with others for the good of the institution.
Teaching and reference services experience; one or more years of related professional work experience, preferably in an academic library; excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills; project management skills; a commitment to innovative and effective user-centered services; an understanding of information literacy skills in a higher education environment; knowledge of current trends in scholarly communication and information technologies; and superior oral and written communication skills.
Experience applying current instructional theories and principles to online instruction or e-learning, preferably in a higher education context; experience with instructional design, LibGuides, and effective use of technology in instruction. The successful candidate will show evidence of productive teamwork, creativity, initiative, flexibility and ability to work with diverse populations.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
How To Apply:
From our job posting system, select “Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.
Candidates should provide a cover letter, CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.