Campus Description:A�Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County’s only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title:A�Head of the Science and Engineering Library Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian
Budget Title:A�same as above
Campus:A�Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary:A�Commensurate with Experience
Required Qualifications:A�ALA-accredited MLS/MUS degree. Minimum of two years’ work experience as a librarian in an academic or research library. Demonstrated ability to provide science referenceA�instruction,consulta
Preferred Qualifications:A�Advanced academic degree in a related disciplineA�inA�science and engineering. Relevant discipline-specific experience in an academic or research library in a research-intensive environment. Experience with research data management and knowledge of scientific research workflows.A�
Responsibilities & Requirements:A�The Stony Brook University Libraries seek a user-oriented and innovative librarian to join the staff of its Science and Engineering Library.A�Reporting to the Associate Director of Branch Libraries,A�the Head of the Sciences and Engineering Library, will coordinate a full range of multi-disciplinary reference,A�research and consultative services for students and faculty in the areas of physical sciences,A�engineering,A�and computer sciences. Responsibilities include:
- Manages the Science and Engineering Library.
- Evaluates,A�selects,A�and reviews materials and information resources for inclusion in the collection,A�and manages the collection budget in assigned areas.
- Sets policies,A�in consultation with other units and the Associate Director of Branch Libraries.
- Oversees all public services including reference,A�circulation,A�and reserve.
- Ensures collections,A�facilities,A�and technology are maintained to enhance access and appearance.
- Supervises staff supporting these responsibilities.
- Develops strong liaison relationships with faculty and students in units of Science and Engineering and other assigned areas.
- Provides support for e-science initiatives,A�including data management plans.
- Provides reference and instructional services in-person and via electronic means,A�including general reference desk service in the Melville Library’s Central Reading Room and research assistance as needed and by appointment.
- Participates in departmental,A�library-wide,A�
and university faculty committees.
- Actively engages in research,A�scholarly publications,A�and service to the professionA�toA�meet the standards for promotion and tenure.
- Serves as a subject specialist and library liaison for various science departments such as engineering,A�biology, geoscience.
Special Notes:A�This is a tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure:A�Those interested in this position should submit aA�State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Senior Staff Assistant
Library Director’s Office
Stony Brook,A�NY 11794-3300
The text of the posting is available atA�http://naples.cc.sunysb.
(You can apply online using this link)
|Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time onA�12/30/2013, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.|